Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headrest bubbling and other issues, theories and testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
150-200 bucks maybe?

they could even embroider something in the headrest if thats your style
I already have a custom bubble on the first one. I think I'll go with plain this time! But good idea!

Anyway, I since I bought a new used one on Ebay for $115 I'm good for now. But I did look up a few places per your suggestion and when I'm nearby I'll bring the bad one by and ask them. I think I'd rather have leather for this part - it's likely hair products so the replacement is probably doomed, it's just a matter of time.

I had this issue last April, and they replaced it under warranty. Now, the replacement headrest is starting to show similar issues... go figure.

will see what they say next month during service.
They'll no doubt say:
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But, there they are. And like the young lady said, " I say live it, or live with it!"

I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus - Wikiquote

Insects are always tough on the upholstery.

My wife noticed that my 7/2019 build is starting to exhibit something similar, today... It's almost like the foam underneath where I rest my head is compressing/degrading faster than the surrounding foam. There's a very distinct area on the headrest that clearly feels like it's raised above the rest.

No greasy head/product/diseases or other bullshit - not that it should matter... other OEMs don't have these problems, much to the disappointment of Tesla Apologists. My 20 year-old BMW's leather is like-new.

People who've had theirs replaced - has it returned/is it returning? @geometro sounds like he'll face this again soon...

Reactions: geometro
My wife noticed that my 7/2019 build is starting to exhibit something similar, today... It's almost like the foam underneath where I rest my head is compressing/degrading faster than the surrounding foam. There's a very distinct area on the headrest that clearly feels like it's raised above the rest.

No greasy head/product/diseases or other bullshit - not that it should matter... other OEMs don't have these problems, much to the disappointment of Tesla Apologists. My 20 year-old BMW's leather is like-new.

People who've had theirs replaced - has it returned/is it returning? @geometro sounds like he'll face this again soon...
I got a quote to have it replaced by a local leather shop for $120. If the one I bought on eBay bubbles, I’m going that route.

Yes other manufacturers do, you just haven’t seen it

In <8 months & <4,500 miles? This prevalent?
On Benz and Lexus we would see it as early as about 10k or a year.

Driver head rests, radio buttons and window switches peeling. Replace them, and a year later, same stuff. It’s either lotions/smell good products or something that comes off the skin, because only certain customers would have it happen, but every time you replaced the part the exact same issue would come back.

Driver head rests, radio buttons and window switches peeling. Replace them, and a year later, same stuff. It’s either lotions/smell good products or something that comes off the skin, because only certain customers would have it happen, but every time you replaced the part the exact same issue would come back.
Some people apparently just secrete acid.

• Funny
Reactions: JasontheBeaver

Some people apparently just secrete acid.
Sounds like it - it's the only logical explanation and the only thing absolves Tesla of responsibility... de ole Apple approach.

I think it's far more likely that many people aren't noticing theirs has a problem. Mine isn't clearly bubbling or anything crazy (yet?) - you have to run your hand over it to notice something's not right. I'm gonna schedule a visit to the SC and have them replace it.

I guess BMW, Volkswagen, and Mazda's cushion shops have access to super-secret materials that nobody else can figure out.

Sounds like it - it's the only logical explanation and the only thing absolves Tesla of responsibility... de ole Apple approach.

I think it's far more likely that many people aren't noticing theirs has a problem. Mine isn't clearly bubbling or anything crazy (yet?) - you have to run your hand over it to notice something's not right. I'm gonna schedule a visit to the SC and have them replace it.

I guess BMW, Volkswagen, and Mazda's cushion shops have access to super-secret materials that nobody else can figure out.
Never worked for them, can’t speak for them.

Picked up my model 3 June last year, couple of months ago I noticed the same bubbles on my headrest. Got a service appointment yesterday and got the news today that it was not covered under warranty. Blamed water or liquids coming under the headrest so the glue underneath loosened it all. But after reading this post there is no glue there? I'm located in Norway, and apparently there hate almost no cases here they could match mine to. Some.got their coveted under warranty but they all get inspected and treated differently it seems. Looks like there's going to be some back and forth now, as I don't see this as my fault for normal use of a car with normal washing.

Picked up my model 3 June last year, couple of months ago I noticed the same bubbles on my headrest. Got a service appointment yesterday and got the news today that it was not covered under warranty. Blamed water or liquids coming under the headrest so the glue underneath loosened it all. But after reading this post there is no glue there? I'm located in Norway, and apparently there hate almost no cases here they could match mine to. Some.got their coveted under warranty but they all get inspected and treated differently it seems. Looks like there's going to be some back and forth now, as I don't see this as my fault for normal use of a car with normal washing.
There is definitely no glue. The material is one sheet. I'd keep pressing them on it and refer to this thread and others that have had the same problem.
Remember that almost any company's first line of defense against replacing something is to claim it's not under warranty, and hope you go away. Auto dealerships are the absolute best at using this tactic. I'm in the industry and see it very frequently.
In Tesla's case, it appears to be a location-by-location thing.