Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headrest bubbling and other issues, theories and testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have similar bubbling except not to the degree of some of these posts. I just returned from the Portland SC, and was told not under warranty. Same reason as others that it must have been caused by hair products. Mine is on the passenger seat headrest though, and the only person who sits there doesn't use any hair products but does admit to having wet hair from time to time. I will be contacting them again and show them this thread.

Attachments

• 20200504_144325.jpg
    20200504_144325.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 237
I wonder if it is the anti fungal in the dandruff shampoo? They tend to all be acidic or need acid to work. So if you lubricate the headrest with that and then get some sunshine to burn it out it is a possibility?
It's just *sugar* engineering - plain and simple. This thread is getting weird, but I shampoo like once/twice a week & rinse the rest. I'm about as product-less as it gets. This Apple-esque argument of "ur body chemistry is wrong" is hilarious. Here's what mine looks like, now. It's a bit tough to tell, but it's "on its way," I think. I'm wondering how many others simply haven't noticed...

upload_2020-5-16_14-36-32.png

Reactions: gcmak
Was also denied, warranty is only six months for cosmetics tech said.

Mobile Tech waived the minimum labor charge of $97 just for coming out. It would have been $397 to replace the headrest.

Used headrest on ebay is about $130.
I am just gonna cover it up and live with it.

Adding my own headrest to the mix. I don't use any hair product, but do use shampoo, which is promptly rinsed out, just like any other human. I've never washed the seats with anything other than a damp microfiber cloth.

Tesla are saying it's not a defect, pointing to possible "chemicals", which is insane.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 173
Adding my own headrest to the mix. I don't use any hair product, but do use shampoo, which is promptly rinsed out, just like any other human. I've never washed the seats with anything other than a damp microfiber cloth.

Tesla are saying it's not a defect, pointing to possible "chemicals", which is insane.
As I'm just mentally tallying things up...may I ask if you rest your head against the headrest for 30+ minutes at a time like for a longer commute? My running theory is a constant warmth is causing the defect, not chemicals. A lot of drivers actually do not touch the headrest with their heads - at least not consistently. And of course those with those neck pillows almost never touch the headrest.

I'd say my head touches the headrest for prolonged periods during road trips, yes. I also think it's more likely related to e.g. sweat and head than hair products. In any case it's a pretty clear defect that Tesla should fix under warranty while they work on a part that survives human contact.

Reactions: geometro and gcmak
Since the WFH situation started, I haven't been driving much and haven't gotten service but my issue is still there and will raise it next time I get service.

One thing that is interesting is that all of these seem to be for the black interior and not the white interior. I wonder if that's coincidence or something is actually different.

I rarely use the headrest, but clearly enough to have some contact with it.

another bubbling headrest here.
1 year old, started recently i think? only noticed a month ago or so.
I use ant-dandruff shampoo by Dove. Wondering if that is the cause?
... does tesla really want $300cdn for a bloody headrest cover? that is insanity. of course they do not want to cover it.

Attachments

• bubble_bubble.jpg
    bubble_bubble.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 101
since my headrest is already borked, i took some of my shampoo on wiped it on the back of the headreast. left swipe. the right swipe is a beard oil. I figure maybe i got some on my hands, and ran it through my hair at some point?
See what happens overnight. If either of those is the culprit, how long should it take?

Attachments

• shampoo and beard oil.jpg
    shampoo and beard oil.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 108