Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headrest for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally worth the mismatched colored panels, dust in the paint, missing paint, gaps galore, latches that won't close, windows that scratch trim, Bluetooth that doesn't work, seats that fall apart, hooks that don't retract, dents on body panels, and range that doesn't even come close to expectations!

Are you a Tesla hater andoand/just hang out here to point out the flaws for fun? I'm not arguing with the well documented issues I'm just curious why you seem to get so much joy out of it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Reeler
This. Consumers are very bad at knowing what they really need/want. Innovative companies, particularly the Silicon Valley type, are the ones that don't build what customers want, but instead are able to figure out their needs and deliver something that meets those better.

Consumers wanted a better flip phone and Apple brought us the iPhone. Building what customers asked for would not have led to that.

So back to cars, some customers say they need a heated steering wheel. The actual need is for the consumer to be comfortable in their car and not have cold hands. Short term solution- car interior will preheat before you get to it. Long term solution- there will be no more steering wheel you have to put your hands on so they won't get cold.

Some customers say they want an adjustable head rest. The actual need is to be comfortable and have support. The seat is designed accordingly. At least I hope, as I don't have my Tesla yet!
Well said! Looking at the need ....totally agree.

Are you a Tesla hater andoand/just hang out here to point out the flaws for fun? I'm not arguing with the well documented issues I'm just curious why you seem to get so much joy out of it.

Nope I was one week away from taking my model Y delivery before cancelling. I had a vested interest in seeing the quality improve to my own benefit but I have since determined it's beyond reconciling their quality problems and no longer plan on reordering

Reactions: tander and Reeler
I picked up my Model Y last night and it doesn't seem to have headrest adjustments... they push your head forward and make the seat very uncomfortable. My wife is a chiropractor and feels this is a terrible design.

I am a physician, but more importantly, I have bad discs in my neck. I cannot drive a car which pushes my head forward. Yesterday I got my Model Y. The headrest is awful and I must change it. If anyone has ideas, please send them my way. I'm thinking of going to a body shop if necessary...
-- JS

I am a physician, but more importantly, I have bad discs in my neck. I cannot drive a car which pushes my head forward. Yesterday I got my Model Y. The headrest is awful and I must change it. If anyone has ideas, please send them my way. I'm thinking of going to a body shop if necessary...
-- JS
From one Physician to another, the headrest in a flexed position is certainly not the most comfortable. I don't know why they angled it that way. Maybe it helps to prevent whiplash more, who knows? In this day where most have their neck flexed too often when texting or looking at their phones, adjusting the headrest would be a nice option. I did see this video on another post. Maybe show this to the body shop so they can adjust it.

I used that very video to disassemble my driver's headrest and instead of bending the bars, I simply turned it around to face backwards and reinserted the bars back into the seat. The headrest is now quite vertical and does not push my head forward. It's still there, protecting me from whiplash in a rear-end collision, but it's far more comfortable and unharmful to my neck. Thanks for the video and the reply.
--JS

I removed the front seat headrests and bent the bars as described in the video. It didn’t move the position back as far as I’d hoped. I ended up just reinstalling them backwards.

I’m 6’3” and now the seating position is very comfortable. My wife is 5’2” so her head now lands towards the top of the very tall seat backs, the original headrest position was pushing her head forward as well due to how far the bottom of the headrest extends down over the seat back.

Definitely a bizarre design choice by Tesla, adjustable headrests are a must and expected in a luxury car. It’s impossible to design a one size fits all solution for something as important as a car seat.

I wish an accessory company would make replacement headrests that adjust up/down and back/front. Until then flipping them backwards will have to do.

Reactions: tander
Also just noticed when I got home that I was the lucky recipient of one of those new “DUAL MOTO” prototypes. Is this one of the new Austin’s?

Lucky me!

Attachments

• 7FB2DC65-D009-4106-8206-B8136C3C6346.jpeg
    7FB2DC65-D009-4106-8206-B8136C3C6346.jpeg
    472.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I removed the front seat headrests and bent the bars as described in the video. It didn’t move the position back as far as I’d hoped. I ended up just reinstalling them backwards.

I’m 6’3” and now the seating position is very comfortable. My wife is 5’2” so her head now lands towards the top of the very tall seat backs, the original headrest position was pushing her head forward as well due to how far the bottom of the headrest extends down over the seat back.

Definitely a bizarre design choice by Tesla, adjustable headrests are a must and expected in a luxury car. It’s impossible to design a one size fits all solution for something as important as a car seat.

I wish an accessory company would make replacement headrests that adjust up/down and back/front. Until then flipping them backwards will have to do.
Old thread but I’m wondering this too. Or if you could buy some audi headrests off eBay or somewhere and they would fit?