Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headrest material breakdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I bought my Tesla model 3 2020 back in December. I noticed about April or May that the back of the headrest is getting this weird texture that it looks like it’s peeling off. What can I do? And if anyone had replaced their headrest how much does it cost?

Attachments

• 4D0A7FC2-C2BC-4392-9997-335EAC8A2911.jpeg
    4D0A7FC2-C2BC-4392-9997-335EAC8A2911.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 106
In car seats, the term headrest is a misnomer. They are actually a head restraint, designed to limit the motion of your head and neck in a collision. You're not actually supposed to rest your head back against it while driving. If you find that happening, it could be a sign that the seat is reclined too far.

Also, do you have gel or cream etc in your hair?

In car seats, the term headrest is a misnomer. They are actually a head restraint, designed to limit the motion of your head and neck in a collision. You're not actually supposed to rest your head back against it while driving. If you find that happening, it could be a sign that the seat is reclined too far.

Also, do you have gel or cream etc in your hair?
You must be kidding that he’s using the headrest incorrectly. Even if his seat isn’t “reclined too far” your head will still touch the headrest from time to time.

To answer Op’s question... same thing happened to me. And I have standard issue guy hair that uses just a little pomade. I told Tesla that I had a 2007 Jetta for 10 years with fake plastic leather seats and headrests and this never happened in my cheap ol’ Jetta. They didn’t care and charged me $275 for the headrest part and $30 installation. I went with it, but didn’t feel particularly pleased.

You must be kidding that he’s using the headrest incorrectly. Even if his seat isn’t “reclined too far” your head will still touch the headrest from time to time.

Not kidding at all. Despite the name, car headrests are not intended to be used as such, they are more correctly described as head restraints. Plenty of articles about this on google for more details.

Of course your head will touch it here and there, but your head is not supposed to be all over it for hours on end like it would in an airliner seat or a recliner armchair etc.