Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headrest material peeling off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I bought my Tesla model 3 2020 back in December. I noticed about April or May that the back of the headrest is getting this weird texture that it looks like it’s peeling off. What can I do? And if anyone had replaced their headrest how much does it cost?

Attachments

• D7428702-F799-4041-A6E3-24C3215DD2C7.jpeg
    D7428702-F799-4041-A6E3-24C3215DD2C7.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 1,038
Same happened to me. I applied hair lotion to my bald head and took a drive in hot 90 degree weather. The heat caused my sweat to transfer some of the lotion. When I came back to my vehicle the sun had cooked the lotion into the fake leather and ruined the headrest. Tesla replaced it out of warranty but did not claim it was a defect. Their excuse was an outside factor caused the deterioration. I’ve never seen this behavior on material fabrics in any other car I’ve owned. This is the result of a cost cutting shortcut. I’m disappointed at how Tesla handled the situation and wish I went with white interior instead.

Same happened to me. I applied hair lotion to my bald head and took a drive in hot 90 degree weather. The heat caused my sweat to transfer some of the lotion. When I came back to my vehicle the sun had cooked the lotion into the fake leather and ruined the headrest. Tesla replaced it out of warranty but did not claim it was a defect. Their excuse was an outside factor caused the deterioration. I’ve never seen this behavior on material fabrics in any other car I’ve owned. This is the result of a cost cutting shortcut. I’m disappointed at how Tesla handled the situation and wish I went with white interior instead.
This is not cost cutting. It is the faux leather they use; it reacts to certain chemicals and causes issues.

I politely disagree. Faux leather is cost cutting behind the ruse of pleasing PETA/green crowd. At the time I purchased my 3 the premium interior was part of the premium package I paid extra for. At the very least Tesla should offer real leather option or offer a cheaper price if you opt for faux. In my lurking this does not happen with white interior.

This is happening to mine as well. Doesn’t seem to have gotten any worse over the past 6+ months, but I still consider it totally unacceptable. I don’t wear any hair products whatsoever, but the Tesla apologists on here will give you the Apple-esque explanation that UR BODY CHEMISTRY IS WRONG. I’ve owned plenty of cars and I’ve had zero issues of this sort in any of them.

I don’t use any hair product. Nor have I ever used product to clean it. It’s pretty unacceptable to have this happen within a year of owning the car. I would say I’m very hygienic. I wash my hair daily so no oils would’ve reacted with it hopefully. When I do feel dirty I would make an effort to avoid touching the material.

also I’m not sure from the post about if I should use the leather conditioner since it’s not real leather...?

This is happening to mine as well. Doesn’t seem to have gotten any worse over the past 6+ months, but I still consider it totally unacceptable. I don’t wear any hair products whatsoever, but the Tesla apologists on here will give you the Apple-esque explanation that UR BODY CHEMISTRY IS WRONG. I’ve owned plenty of cars and I’ve had zero issues of this sort in any of them.

So, nearly 2 years in and our Model 3 headrests are pristine. OP's photo shows only deterioration where someone's head would be, but it must be a defect...

Seriously, dafuq?

My wife’s 3 headrest bubbled. Likely hair products as well as getting in the car after the gym daily. I bought a replacement off eBay for $110.

I found a local shop that can reupholster for about $150 with “a longer lasting material” (their words). If (when) the new one bubbles I’ll have the first redone elsewhere. Leather, different vinyl, I’m not sure yet.

several threads here - headrest bubble - would be a common search term I believe.

• Informative
Reactions: TimT
So, nearly 2 years in and our Model 3 headrests are pristine. OP's photo shows only deterioration where someone's head would be, but it must be a defect...

Seriously, dafuq?

I’ve had cars that had that same Material and even real leather and I’ve never encountered this problem before. I’m in this constant cycle of scheduling service calls on my Tesla monthly. First being black dots showing up on my rear view. (They replaced that for free). My right sideview mirror not opening when it should but the other side does. My car technology freezing and not being responsive to the point that Tesla had to do remote start for me. (Ironically this was when I was actually on my way to a Tesla service for my front bumper sensor acting up)

I don’t use any hair product. Nor have I ever used product to clean it. It’s pretty unacceptable to have this happen within a year of owning the car. I would say I’m very hygienic. I wash my hair daily so no oils would’ve reacted with it hopefully. When I do feel dirty I would make an effort to avoid touching the material.

also I’m not sure from the post about if I should use the leather conditioner since it’s not real leather...?

You've never used any products to clean your seats? You understand that vehicles have to be cleaned, right?

It's not about it being leather conditioner, only to be used on real leather. It lubricates the material and protects it. You could use any one of many things, but this is what I have used on vinyl for years. It soaks into the material pretty good.

I think the real problem is how bumpy the ride is in the Model 3 combined with the people that are most comfortable keeping their head pressed against the headrest while bobbing up and down in the driver's seat.

The fact that the headrest isn't adjustable and juts forward doesn't help.

I don't keep my head pressed against the headrest, but then again, I have the superior white interior that doesn't have this problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: afadeev
I’ve had cars that had that same Material and even real leather and I’ve never encountered this problem before. I’m in this constant cycle of scheduling service calls on my Tesla monthly. First being black dots showing up on my rear view. (They replaced that for free). My right sideview mirror not opening when it should but the other side does. My car technology freezing and not being responsive to the point that Tesla had to do remote start for me. (Ironically this was when I was actually on my way to a Tesla service for my front bumper sensor acting up)

Well, it's also difficult to say, based on your picture, whether you're having the same issue that has been reported. Your issue seems relatively minor in comparison to others. However, it does appear that only the black interior has these issues.

You've never used any products to clean your seats? You understand that vehicles have to be cleaned, right?

It's not about it being leather conditioner, only to be used on real leather. It lubricates the material and protects it. You could use any one of many things, but this is what I have used on vinyl for years. It soaks into the material pretty good.

I wipe down my Tesla. But I don’t use things to fully clean it. It’s not my full time car I drive around. I work 30 miles away from home and use my Audi to do the work commute. Tesla is usually the grocery run car or the weekend car I use. Which is why I find it so odd that the head rest is wearing down so fast.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasTezla

My BMW seats were replaced under warranty 3 times before they refused to do it any longer. They kept splitting.
Chemicals affect window tint, it’s not hard to believe that some chemicals will affect environmentally responsible seats.
It probably is partially a cost cutting measure. Can’t use leather, so they use a material that is cost effective, while being as durable as possible.
Not sure how that’s disappointing. That’s expected with any company.

$50 a bottle and provides excellent protection. Gyeon Leather Shield for the win!

You know the seats are vinyl, right? Not sure what a “shield” does for vinyl, but those seats ain’t leather ....

For me, a spray of Meguiar’s detailer - or a quick baby wipe - and, done. It‘s vinyl - doesn’t need much maintenance ... and nothing will “soak in”.

Reactions: AZAV8R