Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headroom? (for those that went to the event)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many on here are pretty upset about one thing or another. But for me there's really only one factor that will determine if I get this car or hold out for the Y. How's the headroom compared to the S? Is it more because of the car being taller? Is it the same from what you could tell? Does that front roof crossmember effect clearance or are you behind it?

I've seen all the pictures, looking for first hand experience here.

Many on here are pretty upset about one thing or another. But for me there's really only one factor that will determine if I get this car or hold out for the Y. How's the headroom compared to the S? Is it more because of the car being taller? Is it the same from what you could tell? Does that front roof crossmember effect clearance or are you behind it?

The specs are available. Front headroom was a little over 40 inches for the glass roof and a little bit under for the metal roof.

I thought I read a post that said the rear headroom was better than the model S.

I sat in the back seat for my test ride. I am not tall but the guys with me were - it has tons of space all around. Headroom, way more leg room than my IS250 or our previous BMW 325xi. The seat in front of me was back and I could extend my legs. It was very comfortable.

People need to sit in it before making judgments. Everything about it is so different from anything else except maybe another tesla - but even that isn't he same because of the amazing low dash.

I firmly believe the 3 is going to get the same reaction that the S garners - don't test drive it unless you are ready to write a check. ;)

with the numbers now released I put together a comparison sheet. The Model 3 certainly wins on headroom. Legroom is about equal and width is just slightly narrower than the S, but I think someone would have to be pretty perceptive to pick up on the difference without measuring (or regularly having 3 adults in the back).

3-S Size Comparison.png

I sat in the back seat for my test ride. I am not tall but the guys with me were - it has tons of space all around. Headroom, way more leg room than my IS250 or our previous BMW 325xi. The seat in front of me was back and I could extend my legs. It was very comfortable.

People need to sit in it before making judgments. Everything about it is so different from anything else except maybe another tesla - but even that isn't he same because of the amazing low dash.

I firmly believe the 3 is going to get the same reaction that the S garners - don't test drive it unless you are ready to write a check. ;)
Thanks for the first-hand report on the rear seat headroom. There are some things that numbers alone can't adequately convey.

with the numbers now released I put together a comparison sheet. The Model 3 certainly wins on headroom. Legroom is about equal and width is just slightly narrower than the S, but I think someone would have to be pretty perceptive to pick up on the difference without measuring (or regularly having 3 adults in the back).

View attachment 238504

Thanks for the chart, the 1.5 inches is a nice improvement from the S, I hope it's enough.