Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads Up Display (HUD) - Hansshow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Does the connector on the bottom right go to the wire harness? Looks like a mini USB connector but also looks to have CAN transceiver. Also interesting is unpopulated JDY-08 bluetooth transceiver. Perhaps for future versions to pair with phone, or wireless accessories.

Yes. The mini usb connects to the wire harness. The micro usb is new. I didn't even catch the bluetooth transceiver. All very interesting.

I've seen some HUDs with similar cases but different data displays. I assume they have different PCBs inside--which is why some are more/less expensive.

Everything is working as it should with the exception of the time display--It's 4 hours off from the car's time display. I sent a message to Hannshow to ask about that.

Overall, very happy with the HUD again and really pleased with Hannshow's customer service. It took a couple of months but they made everything right. This bodes well for the buyers of the new, bigger displays I think.

Thanks for this post. I have been to Hannshow’s website. The pics and install video are pre recent major UI firmware change. To be, clear, do your pics represent how it displays as of today, with 2020.48.35 installed? Is installation still as per the six month old Hannshow video still linked next to Hannshows HUD forsale web page? I wrote Hannshow, but she did not understand my question. I know you would assume that if they are selling it, it works, but the old video showing the old UI, and some comments about it not working after firmware updates, are a red flag.

Thanks to you, or anyone else with recent feedback.

Thanks for this post. I have been to Hannshow’s website. The pics and install video are pre recent major UI firmware change. To be, clear, do your pics represent how it displays as of today, with 2020.48.35 installed? Is installation still as per the six month old Hannshow video still linked next to Hannshows HUD forsale web page? I wrote Hannshow, but she did not understand my question. I know you would assume that if they are selling it, it works, but the old video showing the old UI, and some comments about it not working after firmware updates, are a red flag.

Thanks to you, or anyone else with recent feedback.

I'd hold off purchasing for now-- My car upgraded to 2021.4.3 568eaf3367 while I was at work and the HUD didn't work on the drive home. It appears it is no longer receiving power... I wasn't in the mood to pull and double check the wiring as I was hungry and it's really freaking cold right now. Will check into it more tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: CT3PO
I'd hold off purchasing for now-- My car upgraded to 2021.4.3 568eaf3367 while I was at work and the HUD didn't work on the drive home. It appears it is no longer receiving power... I wasn't in the mood to pull and double check the wiring as I was hungry and it's really freaking cold right now. Will check into it more tomorrow

Thanks. Hannshow communicated via Whatsapp that it works with the latest firmware. However, the fact that you already replaced the board, and now have issues again, would indicate that firmware updates will be an ongoing problem.

Too bad. Trying to think outside the box, when it comes to recently shrunk display of gear, signals, and speedo, without turning my head. Hannshow need to promise and prove they can continue to easily provide easy to update counter firmware. The other display, the mini screen, would be blocked by the top of the steering wheel, causing me to have to keep ducking my head down to see it. Not much better then just looking at the native screen.

Hannshow HUD for M3/Y, discontinued, due Tesla firmware issues. How can anyone now trust the longevity of any electronic after market device? It appears Tesla will continue to actively discourage, or render useless, any attempt to find a work around for our individual UI issues. EM defiantly states, when asked about HUD or issues with visibility of the instrument cluster displays, and I quote, “You won’t need it”. The UI designers are simply following orders. Since the “holiday” firmware UI overhaul, I have daily issues, with the gear font visibility, the speedometer, and the turn signals. Tesla will never be an every-mans brand.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Hannshow HUD for M3/Y, discontinued, due Tesla firmware issues. How can anyone now trust the longevity of any electronic after market device? It appears Tesla will continue to actively discourage, or render useless, any attempt to find a work around for our individual UI issues. EM defiantly states, when asked about HUD or issues with visibility of the instrument cluster displays, and I quote, “You won’t need it”. The UI designers are simply following orders. Since the “holiday” firmware UI overhaul, I have daily issues, with the gear font visibility, the speedometer, and the turn signals. Tesla will never be an every-mans brand.

As I said last year, the device needs to be fundamentally designed to be easily updated as the data changes. Tesla is not like any other car. But that shouldn't be so hard to do with such a nice display.

It's still listed on their web site, though..are you sure it's discontinued? Model 3, Y Center Console Dashboard Touch Screen

t's still listed on their web site, though..are you sure it's discontinued?

Hi JWardell:

I was referring to the HUD, as Hannshow called it, as opposed to the mini-screen, their reference, V2.
E655A680-9461-4D1E-858C-3F9C3E3AAE5D.jpeg

The HUD, as of yesterday, has been removed from the Hannshow website, but I had it bookmarked:

https://www.hautopart.com/product/tesla-model-3-head-up-display/

The longer story:
After my first post on this thread, 10 days ago, I had a WhatsApp discussion with Hannshow, in which I was told to rest assured that Hannshow would continue to keep the product working, with upgradable firmware of their own. So I bought it, told it would ship after the Chinese New Year holiday period, in Guangzhou. I received an email yesterday, advising that the HUD was now permanently discontinued. I have asked for a refund, both on Whatsapp and email, and both have tried to get me to purchase the V2 touch screen, rather then just actioning my request.

The time on the HUD is still 5 hours ahead of my local time, but otherwise everything is working as it should. I'll probably just ghetto fix it by putting a small piece of electric tape on the screen where the time is displayed.

Once again, I have to hand it to the company. They're standing behind their product and keeping the HUD functional. I was pretty close to setting it aside for the electronics recycler and just buying a GPS HUD for my car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CT3PO
I do not recommend dealing with Hannshow. I bought the HUD before it was discontinued. I was then told it would be shipped in a few weeks, due software updates. Waited a month, somewhat patiently. Well, no one was ever going to contact me. Now, four consecutive days of emails. First, informing me I can no longer order it, like it was a new order. Then sending me an update rar file, as though I already have the HUD, twice. I keep explaining I never received a product. I have asked for a refund twice. I have sent them a copy of my paypal order. I cannot get them to acknowledge that nothing was ever shipped. Tomorrow, I will open a dispute with paypal for my lost US$215, but I am not enthusiastic about more wasted time. I will never buy directly from China again. There is no recourse, if your order has a hiccup. Now even more pissed over the Christmas firmware update font shrinking for the M3, that led me to seek out this latest fiasco.

Don't give up on China, just use Aliexpress.com (where your money is cached until delivery is confirmed) or find someone on Amazon that is reselling the thing you want.

If you lost money on an order to China you might look to your credit card company for help.

So Hannshow sent me software update via WhatsApp last night. I downloaded and installed it to the new PCB. They added a micro USB port on the PCB that isn't accessible without opening the case. This is how you install updates.

View attachment 644193View attachment 644194
I tried contacting Hansshow through WhatsApp but they never answered. Is there any way I can get the file so I can update my HUD?

Final feedback on the Hansshow customer experience. Original order was FEB18, whilst the Hansshow HUD was still for sale on their website. I was able to get my money back via paypal buyer protection. Interestingly, when Hansshow was notified by paypal of my claim that the HUD never shipped, that I had been notified that it was discontinued, and refund requests were ignored, Hansshow proceeded to advise both me and paypal that they would only refund after the dispute was cancelled. Then, 5 days ago, after I let the dispute stand, Hansshow strangely sent me a FedEx tracking number advising that the discontinued HUD was being shipped to me, updated and working. This turned out to be further deception, as the tracking website and a phone call to FedEx confirmed that this package was not even destined for my continent.

Attachments

• CAA8109C-C137-4814-A73E-E9133423AC9F.jpeg
    CAA8109C-C137-4814-A73E-E9133423AC9F.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel and JWardell

The time on the HUD is still 5 hours ahead of my local time, but otherwise everything is working as it should. I'll probably just ghetto fix it by putting a small piece of electric tape on the screen where the time is displayed.

Once again, I have to hand it to the company. They're standing behind their product and keeping the HUD functional. I was pretty close to setting it aside for the electronics recycler and just buying a GPS HUD for my car.
4D61E13D-E237-41EA-82E7-9ACC75394DA1.png

In your youtube video, you show when you switch to drive, you momentarily get a large D for a few seconds, in the MPH space. With my M3, the MPH continues to show zero, throughout the shift change. Why am I missing this great gear shifting situation display?