Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads-Up-Display (HUD): More proof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a retired airline pilot I can tell you polarized sunglasses don't work in cockpits. You can't see the screens and depending on the aircraft and how the cockpit windows are heated you literally can't see out the window. All you see is hashed lines. The bottom line for the majority of pilots, especially in glass cockpits is regular not polarized sunglasses:

Vision in Aviation
I was one of those who tried polarized sunglasses while flying. At altitude I saw a prison lattice! Only after retiring from high altitude flying I have gone back to ppolarized sunglasses. I hope the Model 3 HUD can somehow fix that. technology has moved far since my experience, so I'm hopeful.

HUDs blow on cars. They just take distracted driving to a whole new planet. "Wow, now I can look straight ahead and not see *sugar* before I ram it!" I have 4 cars with it, and everyone is turned off.

But then again, I'm a dork who doesn't need a cellphone to drive either. A relic of the past; someone who believes not hitting *sugar* is the the most technologically advanced method of automotive safety, not the crumple zone.

I think it is important to remember that the Model 3, and many other cars sold 3 or so years out, will have automated safety features like automatic braking. In fact, virtually every major manufacturer has committed to NHTSA guidelines to integrate automated braking in all cars sold in the US by 2022. The point is that 'not hitting' stuff is going to become something the car helps you do - for all cars - very soon. If one imagines more capable autonomous systems like those clearly being developed by Tesla (and others), then obstacle avoidance could also play into the mix. With systems like that in place, one then has to confront the potential that differentiation in automobiles will start to rest in the domain of user experience, and that's why we see such an emphasis on big beautiful information displays in Tesla products.

If one considers the direction of automation technology, I think it is true that:

1. Concerns about the distraction caused by a HUD are overblown.
  2. What one can or perhaps should do with a HUD in terms of feature and design move well beyond simple information displays for speed, status, etc.

I think it might be interesting to view a HUD not merely as an information display replacing the instrument package... but as an implementation of augmented reality, which would allow it to do / be much more.

• Disagree
Reactions: sebxx
How about having the speedometer color-coded by how far your speed is from posted?

Better yet, how about your remaining distance on charge as a function of current speed?

HUDs blow on cars. They just take distracted driving to a whole new planet.

This is the main reason why I don't think HUDs would be standard.
It is a nice gadget as an option to increase the profit margin, but it is not a good way to display important information because of the reason above. ...........When you have to keep the cost at $35,000 and you have to make 400,000 cars in a short time, I would cut out all the unnecessary stuff which by itself won't sell the car.

I bet we won't see a HUD in base model.

If the HUDs you have in your cars (which manufacturers and models?) are lousy that is the fault of the UI desig.

I imagine most of the tech will be in the Model S long before 3. But as mentioned earlier I don't think any will be included at the base price for 3, perhaps S.

Concerns about the distraction caused by a HUD are overblown.
I think it might be interesting to view a HUD not merely as an information display replacing the instrument package... but as an implementation of augmented reality, which would allow it to do / be much more.

With regards to the posts above, I have a 2012 Prius plug-in. It has an HUD that was included in the $35,000 package price. The HUD projects at the very lower windshield. It is out of the way but easily visible. It displays speed, power efficiency in a bar graph, and navigation arrows if you have a destination entered (as well as audio commands in a pleasant female voice). It is brighter during the day and softer at night. Works great! I wear "transitions" eye glasses that turn dark when in sunlight and there is no conflict with the HUD. My wife wears polarized clip-ons with her glasses and she can see the HUD fine.

So, in our opinion:
- the HUD in our car is NOT a distraction
- a relatively high tech HUD is possible in a $35K car as standard
- our HUD works great with useful information, it is anything but a gadget

A good HUD, like on a Prius, is essential to us. We hope that it comes standard on the T3, but we will pay extra to get one if necessary.

We also have a primitive AP on our car. It is a radar cruise control that monitors traffic directly ahead only. We have come to depend on it. If the T3 doesn't include this feature, even as an option, that would be a deal breaker for us.

Polarized eyeglasses are for reducing reflections off of water or ice as well as glints off of curved shiny surfaces such as cars and buildings.
Not so much of this in the sky for pilots to deal with, it would seem.

In any event the problem presented for earthbound drivers who enjoy polarized lenses is that they likely don't have a pair of non-polarized glasses handy when the need might arise. So HUD might not even work in this case.
--

I know Tesla wants to get rid of the mirrors to make the car more aerodynamic. so i think the HUD in the Need For Speed mustang (the movie) would have been cool to create

Attachments

• hud.png
    hud.png
    559.7 KB · Views: 199
Reactions: TEG and ikjadoon
If the AP option is purchased it will include a HUD that projects what the AP sees as well as basic info like speed, alerts, and warnings.

At that point all Teslas will be built with full AP hardware. By 2019 or so, fully autonomous AP software will be available as an option.

I was kind of daydreaming along these same lines. For the people who are driving and don't want lots of stuff to look through, maybe just speed and battery status displayed. When you enable Autopilot, it projects in front of you a far more advanced version of what the car's sensors are "seeing" of which what is currently shown on the Model S is only a precursor. This wouldn't only be incrediby cool and like something from a sci fi movie, but it would also make AP safer as you could actually anticipate more when it might be missing or misinterpreting something. I imagine toggling autopilot and a HUD pops up in front of me as the car "takes over". In the long term, I think it would make it easier to "trust" autonomous cars more as you're kind of seeing what they see.

Wouldn't it be great if Tesla isn't just dragging the rest of the auto industry into the 21st century with their battery technology and capability, but the whole driver interface as well? I know, it's a lot to hope for in a car with a $35k base, but if you're going to dream big anyway..............and if were the case, 325k reservations might seem modest down the road. ;)

(This is my speculation, MINE I tell you! Bwahaha! And I don't want to be reading it later in a magazine or blog.)

Great but will this updated tech for the Model 3 upset Model S & X owners?

Actually, the fact that the refreshed or face lifted Model S does not have HUD lowers the chance that Model 3 would have one at all.
It's just something Tesla does not think that it's necessary.

Coming back to the title of this thread, I really don't see any "proof" that there will be HUD.

Actually, the fact that the refreshed or face lifted Model S does not have HUD lowers the chance that Model 3 would have one at all.

Coming back to the title of this thread, I really don't see any "proof" that there will be HUD.

I think this current Model S refresh is 1 of many prior to the model 3 going into production. This is a car company that doesn't wait every year or 2 or 3 to make their cars better. It is done many times/year and in big ways. Expect many new announcements for the Model S and X before the end of 2017.

Reactions: ikjadoon
My BMW 335i has a HUD and I drive with prescription polarized sunglasses without an issue. Only compensating factor is I have the brightness turned up fully on the HUD.

I really hope there's a HUD on the Model 3 that will replace my 335i, however my "family car" is a Mazda CX-5 with a nearly unreadable and wildly inaccurate speedo, hence I typically use the GPS speed on the centre entertainment display anyway. It's not as good as a HUD but it's still workable.

• Disagree

It could be that the HUD simply isn't ready yet and that's why they're hiring people with experience in that field. They have a little while to get it all sorted.

That said, I'm not sure that I believe it will have a HUD. I think it will have other types of feedback to help assist the driver instead.

Reactions: Luke42
A good HUD, like on a Prius, is essential to us. We hope that it comes standard on the T3, but we will pay extra to get one if necessary.

So, you're saying you simply must have HUD so your eyes don't have to travel another few inches to the dash to check your speed? And you simply must have TACC or it's a deal breaker?

When I got Tesla, I sold my Priuses. Vastly better. (I am wondering where else your eyes travel that so wear you out that you must have HUD. Human eyes are very good at looking around, and I am positive that your eyes are not glued to the road ahead for hours)

Deal breaker? Please, feel free. There are thousands in line behind you.

Great but will this updated tech for the Model 3 upset Model S & X owners?
In my case, not at all. I've driven my S for more than 3 years. It's been a blast. I would rather drive the Classic S for 40,000 miles than wait for more tech. Why wait for the D, Ludicrous, Auto Pilot, X, Summon or the 3 (I do have a 3 reservation)? People like me jumped in with both feet, knowing that tech marches on.

Reactions: BravoSarah