Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads-Up-Display (HUD): More proof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
zenmaster said:
If Tesla does incorporate a HUD, please let it be visible while wearing polarized sunglasses.

evp said:
Physics says that's not going to happen. The reflection off the glass polarizes the light in the exact direction polarized sunglasses are designed to suppress.

I hope you don't teach physics. Short answer to the assertion is no. You typically have either horizontal or vertical polarization of light - be it reflected or filtered. It's when there is a match that you get the cancellation.

Light gets polarized when it reflects off a surface. Look at the illustration here: Brewster's angle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Polaroid sunglasses suppress sunlight that has been polarized in the horizontal direction by reflection off surfaces that are oriented horizontally, like water, roads, etc. The reflection of an image off the windshield is also horizontally polarized, thus polaroid sunglasses are effective at suppressing reflections of things sitting on the dashboard. This includes images projected from the dash into the windshield. Try the experiment: put a piece of white paper on the dash, observe the reflection without sunglasses, then with them on. Let us know how much the reflection is suppressed.

If you can't see through the windshield due to interior fogging or ice, I don't think it will be reflective. The HUD projection requires a reflective surface to hit your eyes.
That surface is in the inside of the window. In the BMW there's a small patch of material on the inside of windshield that reflects the HUD. So you should be able to see the HUD even when you can't see out the window.

Light gets polarized when it reflects off a surface. Look at the illustration here: Brewster's angle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Polaroid sunglasses suppress sunlight that has been polarized in the horizontal direction by reflection off surfaces that are oriented horizontally, like water, roads, etc. The reflection of an image off the windshield is also horizontally polarized, thus polaroid sunglasses are effective at suppressing reflections of things sitting on the dashboard. This includes images projected from the dash into the windshield. Try the experiment: put a piece of white paper on the dash, observe the reflection without sunglasses, then with them on. Let us know how much the reflection is suppressed.
In your experiment however, the paper may have components that are horizontally polarized, but also those that are not horizontally polarized. So yes, if you wear sunglasses the reflection would be notably suppressed (because the horizontal components are suppressed). However, that doesn't necessarily mean all components will be suppressed.

If you have a display that is vertically polarized, then none of the light would be blocked by the polarization of the sunglasses. If it is 45 degree polarized (as is more common), it'll be dimmed. If horizontally polarized it'll be invisible.

Reading forums, it seems BMW HUDs are completely invisible with sunglasses, but GM HUDs (even the old ones) are still visible with sunglasses (although possibly dimmed). The latest color one (which may be using the DLP technology discussed above) seems to be best (clearly visible even with sunglasses).

Seems like everyone is quite sure that a HUD will be offered on the Model 3. I wouldn't mind it but I would not set up hopes or desires on it in the case that a dash screen like a Prius is offered instead and feel sad about it.
76325606.jpg

I am more inclined to think that the steering wheel will have an LCD screen as a replacement for the instrument panel. This design is probably the easiest choice to bring unique innovation into the mass market car (tesla will be the first) and keeping in mind that the car needs to be manufactured for right hand/left hand with common components and minimal reconfigurations. Formula 1 cars have long utilized this steering wheel concept. An Inside Look at the Insanely Complex Formula 1 Steering Wheel

• Disagree
Reactions: sebxx
I am more inclined to think that the steering wheel will have an LCD screen as a replacement for the instrument panel. This design is probably the easiest choice to bring unique innovation into the mass market car

No thanks. An easier choice would just be a regular instrument panel. Better choice too, IMHO. I want to move the information FURTHER from me rather than closer. I certainly don't want it spinning around and being blocked by my arms.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: favo and sebxx
A data phone (or Bluetooth monitor) with an OBDII Bluetooth dongle, and the right app, can be used as LCD dash - place it where you want it. Volt/Prius/Leaf owners do this often to track battery range and usage.

Also, HUD, or data could be projected onto the white dash behind the steering wheel, simulating an LCD dash, which may be a lower cost option. This (projection) may also allow greater user customization, including on/off.

...HUD, or data could be projected onto the white dash behind the steering wheel, simulating an LCD dash, which may be a lower cost option. This (projection) may also allow greater user customization, including on/off.
using projection would make it challenging to read during sunny days

or maybe the white part will be an entirely OLED panel (customize theme or info you'd like to have, same for passenger)

• Disagree
Reactions: zenmaster
I still have my money on a transparent LED film embedded into the windshield. No projection/reflection HUDs.

View attachment 173031
except the whole "ease of manufacturing" mantra they're trying to stick to with the Model 3.

I would imagine that windshield would NOT be cheap.

Plus, in the Northeast, the 1st time you chip it, you're done.....Safelite can't fix that.