Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads Up Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

benraemon

Jun 12, 2011
I was wondering if Tesla could add a heads up display (HUD) as an option for the Model S that projects information like speed in colour on the driver's windshield like they have in the new Audi A7.

What do you guys think?

That would be a cool option but definitely wouldn't be on the first year (or two). Tesla wouldn't delay Model S for something like that (I hope)...

However, I'd like to see that as an option on Model S 2.0-2.5.

I would like it too but not if it delays production as well. I think Tesla needs to execute this to perfection. Adding on too many things like adaptive cruise control and HUD would be great but also add to the complexity. It's their first model year so whatever they add, they need to do it without any problems.

A HUD system would require a relationship with some supplier, which would surely already be in place. And if it were in place, we surely would have heard something about a HUD option. Since we haven't, I think we can safely assume that there'll be no HUD in this iteration of the Model S.

I agree that they probably will not offer HUD and I think their rationale is that the screen above the steering wheel is completely customizable so any center stack information can be displayed on that screen. So perhaps HUD does not buy you as much as it does in a car without a customizable screen above the steering wheel.

I agree that it's not likely to happen, but not sure that's a good rationale. The HUD we have shows speed in numerical form and nav directions. The LCD between the gauges show the same. The benefit is not because the dash LCD is limited, but because you can keep your eyes on the road.

A HUD is typically a device developed for the old school driver dependent cars.
It would contradict as such the development path Tesla has opted for. Being Autopilot.

I think it would complement AP:

1-9K22S5Sm6S3Z8WMS-x_G8g.png
1-VJaC-FT7BEmD8qYAH1-ofA.png

Heads Up! Designing Meaningful Car Windshield Displays — Medium

A HUD is typically a device developed for the old school driver dependent cars.
It would contradict as such the development path Tesla has opted for. Being Autopilot.

Most people still 'drive'. HUD is simply is safer when driving as your eyes remain on the road more. I do not think it contradicts the development path at all. If you take the stance Tesla's are not made to drive, then 'ludicrous' mode contradicts the path way more than a HUD.

Most people still 'drive'. HUD is simply is safer when driving as your eyes remain on the road more. I do not think it contradicts the development path at all. If you take the stance Tesla's are not made to drive, then 'ludicrous' mode contradicts the path way more than a HUD.

Right. It's like saying no need for winter package with heated steering wheel since Tesla is going driverless -- there will soon be NO steering wheel!

I have HUD on my BMW, I haven't use HUD on other cars before, but many reports said BMW's HUD is better than others. It's always on and I like it, but I will not pay for it anymore. It's not a big deal, especially many cars has NAV turn by turn on the display now, just look a few inches down.

Between Tesla turn by turn on front display and HUD, I prefer Tesla's 100% better than HUD, I can see much detail map image, and it looks nicer too. Most HUD still have one or two colors.

I also recommend that Tesla adopt HUD. I have HUD in my 2010 Lexus RX 450h. I love it for a number of reasons. It permits me to keep looking through the windshield while checking items such as speed and navigation turn directions. More fundamentally, in many cars including the Model S, the steering wheel blocks important data. I’m sorry that my MX apparently will not have this feature.