Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads Up Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A HUD is typically a device developed for the old school driver dependent cars.
It would contradict as such the development path Tesla has opted for. Being Autopilot.

If you look at what they did with the dashboard display, it's all about showing the driver what the car sees: The curve of the road, the confidence of the lane marking, and the other cars. A HUD (with eye tracking) could take this to the next level by augmenting the view out the windshield. Imagine each of the cars being tracked had a blue box around them, so you knew for certain Autopilot could see them. Or, a pothole or pedestrian coming up is highlighted in a red box. Until we reach full autonomy, we'll need to teach drivers what the car can and can't handle. And even after full autonomy, a lot of people will have anxiety about trusting the car. I've found the new dashboard has made me much more confident than my previous 10+ years of Intelligent cruise control experience.

GM really pushed HUD out on their cars and have really done an incredible job at it. The Cadillac's HUD really shine as well.

That's one of the downsides (maybe the only one) in us ordering MS instead of the C7 Z06 my wife wanted (with HUD).

- - - Updated - - -

If you look at what they did with the dashboard display, it's all about showing the driver what the car sees: The curve of the road, the confidence of the lane marking, and the other cars. A HUD (with eye tracking) could take this to the next level by augmenting the view out the windshield. Imagine each of the cars being tracked had a blue box around them, so you knew for certain Autopilot could see them. Or, a pothole or pedestrian coming up is highlighted in a red box. Until we reach full autonomy, we'll need to teach drivers what the car can and can't handle. And even after full autonomy, a lot of people will have anxiety about trusting the car. I've found the new dashboard has made me much more confident than my previous 10+ years of Intelligent cruise control experience.

These are all great points. Tesla should begin looking at HUD if they haven't already - at least to keep up with the Cadillacs and Audis of the world . . .

GM really pushed HUD out on their cars and have really done an incredible job at it. The Cadillac's HUD really shine as well.

That's one of the downsides (maybe the only one) in us ordering MS instead of the C7 Z06 my wife wanted (with HUD).

- - - Updated - - -

These are all great points. Tesla should begin looking at HUD if they haven't already - at least to keep up with the Cadillacs and Audis of the world . . .

Or my very first car, a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, which had a HUD that worked pretty well.