Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps some people with automotive-engineering experience/background could speculate on why Heads Up display is not more common in cars.

I've driven a couple chevy rentals, corvetteand camaro, with HUD and liked it.

Clearly it can't be cost as the price would drop dramatically and the quality would improve with economies of scale.

Is the general design thought that cars with HUD would be more of a distraction than looking down at the dash for a couple seconds?

A good functional HUD could be interesting feature to further differentiate Tesla from competotors.

Even if it's cheap, its still extra cost. I don't believe the GM products have the HUD as standard, I believe it's an option, but could be wrong. If it cost $50 in parts and make 100,000 cars a year, that is $5 million. Not huge, but definitely not pocket change.

I'm sure some people would find it distracting and as kirk mentions polarized sunglasses block out the HUD. However, I believe Texas Instruments is coming out with DLP HUD that will work with polarized lenses. I highly suspect Model 3 will have this or something similar.

DLP® Automotive Display Solutions HUD |DLP & MEMS | TI.com

• Informative
Reactions: Mknac and RobertF
I had one in my last car and it was nice unless I was wearing my polarized sun glasses which was most of the time. Then I couldn't see it...

Many people suspect the Model 3 will rely heavily on a HUD. Perhaps then it will be added to the MS and MX.

Same for me. Sun glasses made is useless and that was 95% of the time. The rest I practically forgot it was there. Only when used for navigation and at night did I at the least enjoy. And that was about 3 times in 2 years... It came with my cars tech package. I probably wouldn't have ordered it alone if they offered. Most of the time it only showed MPH. Big deal...