Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads up - don't wait until your hold date to 'accept delivery', it may be cancelled that very day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads up to my fellow Tesla peeps that have holds. Tesla sent me the email below. It was what I was expecting, and I'm totally fine with it.... no complaints, but one thing did catch me by surprise - if I'm reading that correctly, they will not automatically release the hold. They will cancel it if I don't take action on my end. That's not something that was described to me when I placed it on hold and has not been displayed on my account screen. Email is bleow.

Hi Brandon,

We’re contacting you regarding the Model Y you ordered on November 4, 2021 to offer any assistance in bringing your car home. We’re excited to deliver your Model Y at your earliest convenience and welcome you to the Tesla family.

Your order is set to cancel soon, but if you still intend to take delivery, please sign in to your Tesla Account and select “I’m Ready” by February 27, 2022.

If your order remains on hold on February 27, 2022, or is placed on hold again, we will assume that you no longer wish to purchase a vehicle. Your order will automatically be canceled and your order fee forfeited.

Thank you for supporting the world's transition to sustainable energy.

Best regards,

The Tesla Team

Not sure what the confusion is. They are giving you until Feb 27 to accept delivery of the vehicle you ordered. If you don't accept delivery, they'll cancel your order and keep your deposit. You had to take action to put the car on hold, you need to take action to release the hold.

Reactions: nilesborg and cgell
Not sure what the confusion is. They are giving you until Feb 27 to accept delivery of the vehicle you ordered. If you don't accept delivery, they'll cancel your order and keep your deposit. You had to take action to put the car on hold, you need to take action to release the hold.
I never said I was confused. I also never said I took exception to any of it. What I was told from the get go is that I could simply standby and when 2/27 passed I would go back in the queue. That clearly isn't the case and something I'm glad I was informed of.

I'm just letting others know who may have also been told they can wait for the hold to pass in order to re-enter the queue.

Agreed, I'm not even upset about it... nothing to be upset about really. I'm just glad I was checking my email, for some reason it went to my junk folder. I feel for anyone who received a similar email and didn't read it - they may be looking forward to a car that's about to go off hold, only to find its been canceled.
They started getting a bit more strict about how long an order can stay on hold. The problem was that they had a ton of people waiting for various new features and possible tax incentive changes. Now they are trying to clear out orders that have been kept on hold to clear the backlog of hold orders.

They started getting a bit more strict about how long an order can stay on hold. The problem was that they had a ton of people waiting for various new features and possible tax incentive changes. Now they are trying to clear out orders that have been kept on hold to clear the backlog of hold orders.
Oh no doubt, I was one of em. I ordered a while back before the price jump and figured I'd hold off as long as possible..... I mean why not? I didn't need a car and still don't. I wasn't going to pass up a potential $7,500 refund or risk 1) price increases and/or 2) new features.

That said, I knew what I was doing and wouldn't feel slighted at all if they cancelled my order, so long as they gave me a heads up beforehand. Which they have. At this point I'm not even sure I'll get away with rejecting the first VIN I'm assigned - I may just need to accept it or move on. I figure that if its AMD I'll accept, if not Ill reject and likely need to reorder.... it is what it is.

Reactions: cgell