Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads up for the Maryland EV Excise tax credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my model 3 today. The dealer told me they will help me submit my rebate form.
But all I read from this post is that you submit your forms by yourselves?
Should I submit myself one more time?

Did you take delivery from a Tesla SC? When I got mine they just gave me the paperwork and asked me to do it myself. Also, you can’t file it unless you have the title number, which you won’t get for a while and I’m not sure if the dealership already has that number? So I would submit a copy after you receive your title number.

Did you take delivery from a Tesla SC? When I got mine they just gave me the paperwork and asked me to do it myself. Also, you can’t file it unless you have the title number, which you won’t get for a while and I’m not sure if the dealership already has that number? So I would submit a copy after you receive your title number.

Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, I picked the car up from the Rockville center.
I read from another post that someone called MVA and the MVA said the title number was not needed. I guess it is the reason that the center can submit directly. It is probably can save one month, even though it looks like the chance to get the tax rebate is very low...

So a question regarding the MD EV credit. I know that the credit is limited to one per person. However, businesses are allowed up to 10 excise tax credits. My question is, how hard would it be to start a company (bro1999 Sells Stuff on Ebay From Home LLC) and claim the MD credit under my newly created business? From what I've gathered, I can file an Articles of Organization for about $100. Once I had the Articles of Organization, I could then purchase a car under the company name (and then apply for up to 10 MD credits).

Or would this be opening a whole new can of worms that would become way too messy down the road?

So a question regarding the MD EV credit. I know that the credit is limited to one per person. However, businesses are allowed up to 10 excise tax credits. My question is, how hard would it be to start a company (bro1999 Sells Stuff on Ebay From Home LLC) and claim the MD credit under my newly created business? From what I've gathered, I can file an Articles of Organization for about $100. Once I had the Articles of Organization, I could then purchase a car under the company name (and then apply for up to 10 MD credits).

Or would this be opening a whole new can of worms that would become way too messy down the road?

Don't forget all the federal tax related issues you'll need to deal with as well.

I wrote to a local newspaper explaining this situation. It's honestly ridiculous that the funding for FY 2020 would be depleted before FY 2020 has even begun. Surely our legislature knew the state of the funding situation, and knew that $6 million would not be sufficient.

And as far as I can tell, that's the entire program done. The PDF says that's the funding through July 2020 exhausted, and the program was only set to run from 2017 to 2020. The Clean Cars Act of 2019 didn't extend that window, it only increased the funding for the last year.

I mailed in my excise tax rebate form in January (for a purchase in December 2018) and haven't gotten anything back from the MVA. Guessing I'm out of luck unless they pass another EV credit bill? Or maybe I was far enough up in line to get the tax credit but they're just slow in mailing them? In any case, this sucks for a lot of people. Seems like the release of the model 3 completely wiped out this program.