TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Health effects

Discussion in 'Technical' started by mackgoo, Jan 14, 2015.

1. mackgoo

mackgoo Member

Have there been any studies looking at any health effects in driving around in an electric car for extended periods of time?

2. redox

redox Member

A common ailment for Tesla owners (more prevalent among D owners) is an inflammation or cramping of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zygomaticus_major_muscle - can be quite painful, but somehow well managed.

3. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

Yeah, makes me incurably happy.

4. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

Are you talking about positive health effects of driving an electric over an ICE since there is less exposure to exhaust? There are no negative health effects and the only time I've seen it mentioned is by nutters that think the wifi in their house gives them cancer or something ...

5. SteveS0353

SteveS0353 Member

ROFL! This affects passengers too.

6. liuping

liuping Active Member

If your talking about effects EMF, there are several threads on that topic:

EMF Radiation
    EMF (Eletromagnetic field) in Tesla Model S
    Any problems for EMF sensitive people?

If your talking about health benefits: I find driving the Model S lower my stress levels and makes me feel generally happier. It also results in less Carbon Monoxide inhalation. :)

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

If you're thinking particularly of electromagnetic fields, there's been testing and the field has not been found to be any greater than in a conventional car, and if anything can be less. Same is true of hybrids, which also have high-voltage electrical systems.

I'd be interested in the health benefits of reduced vibration and noise, something generally noted by drivers of hybrid buses.

Many cars now have built-in cellphones, but that's not an electric-vehicle-specific thing.

8. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

I don't know of any studies, but I'm now more sensitive to gasoline and diesel smells. I've basically lost some desensitization of hydrocarbon smells.

9. dandelot

dandelot Member

I've noticed excessive pride of ownership from Tesla electric fields.
    All the EMF at home does not seem to have the same effect
    for some reason.

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

11. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Could you be any more vague? Are you referring to being near a magnetic field for which there is absolutely no evidence that magnetic fields at levels even ~100x more potent than an EV produces have ANY biological effect?

12. TES-E

TES-E Member

My face hurts from the perpetual grin. Does that count?

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

To the OP: I think your rather broad question has been answered more than adequately, though as far as I know there are no studies that have looked specifically about possible adverse effects of spending extended periods of time in an EV.

14. mackgoo

mackgoo Member

15. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

I am about to begin the first phase of testing for EMI in ICDs, using primarily my MS and another p85 in a variety of scenarios (e.g. home charging, supercharging, acceleration, etc) similar to the 2012 study with the Prius. I am sure that it will be negative, but it will be reassuring that the only thing shocking you is the pure acceleration --

16. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Cool, mind linking /referencing the study? I googled it but didn't seem to get what you mention.

17. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

The Prius study was presented as a poster at ACC in 2013. In my discussions with one of the authors, it is still in press. Here is a link to an article about it:
    Relax, electric-drive vehicles play nice with pacemakers, defibrillators

As for my study, I will be doing it in collaboration with Mayo. The devices from the 4 major manufacturers are finally in my possession (it was surprisingly difficult to obtain them). Now just to find the time to finish drafting my protocols and perform the trials. I will post the abstract here once available.

18. mackgoo

mackgoo Member

Why does everyone have to be so hostile? If one wasn't aware of any all they really had to do was not comment.

19. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Can you report the hostile posts? If people didn't post 'no problems' you wouldn't have gotten any responses because there doesn't appear to be any issue.