Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hear my phone’s notifications when connected to Bluetooth but listening to other audio source?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a search but couldn’t find an answer here.

So I have two phones - an iPhone 11 Pro Max and a Samsung Galaxy Note 9. I realize I can only have one connected at a time, so at any given time, whichever phone is connected via Bluetooth, my phone’s notifications are routed through the Tesla. If I have my media playing through my phone, then I can hear my notifications. But if I’m listening to the car’s TuneIn or Radio, it essentially “silences” my phone - meaning, I can’t hear anything because the phone is sending the notification sound to my car because it’s still connected (presumably for incoming calls) but because the audio source is not my phone for the music playing, I don’t hear any notifications.

Is there a way around this?

Another application:

I use Waze so I can hear “Police Reported Ahead” since Tesla’s maps don’t inform me...but unless I am streaming audio from my phone, I don’t hear anything coming through. I feel like this is quite cumbersome. Curious if there’s any workarounds.

Thanks all!

Unfortunately there's no way around this. If the audio is not coming from your phone, there's no way to filter notifications and let them override whatever you're listening to. You're either getting audio from your phone or you're not. Calls will come through of course. But if you want to hear your notifications while listening to something else, you would have to disconnect your phone and get the notifs straight from the phone.

Unfortunately there's no way around this. If the audio is not coming from your phone, there's no way to filter notifications and let them override whatever you're listening to. You're either getting audio from your phone or you're not. Calls will come through of course. But if you want to hear your notifications while listening to something else, you would have to disconnect your phone and get the notifs straight from the phone.
Thanks for confirming. Hope this could potentially be something that’s fixed in the future.

Before I had an Apple Watch, and I wanted to be notified by the incoming text, I would simply redirect the output to the phone itself so at least I can hear it. iOS shortcuts can even do this automatically.
Of course, this is not ideal. If you frequently listen to Bluetooth music, switching can get cumbersome. I listen to Tesla streaming music more often than I did Bluetooth, so it worked well enough for me. Also, the iPhone Volume has to compete with the volume of the streaming music so if I was listening to good music at a high volume, I might miss the notification. That same iOS shortcut can set your volume to 100% which helps, but doesn’t eliminate it. Of course, the vibrate switch has to be off.

I too would like any notification to disrupt whatever source is chosen but the above workaround at least let’s me know a notification came in and I can look down at the phone to see what it is.

Actually there is a way around this for some apps on iPhones. You’re lucky because one of those apps is Waze. Sorry Android people Android is to dumb to do this.

Most good navigation apps know about this very issue. What the app can do is send the notification to the car as a “phone call”. This tells the radio to stop playing the Radio and momentarily switch to BlueTooth and play the notification (usually Voice) then switch back.

The option to enable this is called different things in different apps. Technically it’s called “Hands Free Protocol” (as in hands free phone call). But many people don’t know what that is so they often call it something like “play as Bluetooth phone call”.

Here are the settings page for 3 apps I use with that option enabled.

Waze, Google Maps and V1Driver

V1Driver talks to Valentine One Radar detector and announces things like Ka Band ahead when the Radar Detector goes off. This allows the Radar detector to be set very low and Music as loud as you like. Because the music will stop and a gentle Siri Voice will come on and speak. V1Driver calls it “Use HFP”.

Note you adjust the Notification Volume on the car while it’s playing. Just like a phone call. It is the phone volume control in the car. Some apps let you fine tune the Volume as well like V1Driver so you don’t have to fiddle with Notifications to loud and turn it down then end up with Phone calls to low. I’ve been doing this for years and explaining this on every car brand forum I own. Comes up every time.

BTW a few cars recognize audio playing on Bluetooth audio channel and automatically switch or blend it in. Be cool if Tesla did that.

Waze
49242005873_6c313b47a6_b_d.jpg

Google Maps
49242477841_4d4e9de03e_b_d.jpg

V1Driver
49242031473_3391f2d984_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
ReadIttoMe 2.0 for Android cell phone works perfectly well and read all notifications from your selected apk. Adjust your profile as BT mono as Tesla has has a outdated system.

Tesla’s System is not outdated. Bluetooth Hands Free Protocol is low bitrate Mono. You’re forcing the app/phone to use HFP which triggers the radio to switch to it. Android is what is outdated here. Funny thing is I learned about it via Google maps on iPhone. The same option is not available on Android Google maps. It’s crazy because technically the phone can do it. It’s how phone apps work.

Last edited:
Was all excited about this thread until I saw that the setting isn't on Android. Bah.

For now I am just having Waze notifications come from the phone itself. It does the job unless I'm really cranking the stereo. App notifications like texts.

I wonder if unchecking the "connect as media device" would force all notifications through the HFP? I never use my phone to stream media in the Tesla; I only use the built in streaming apps.

I did a search but couldn’t find an answer here.

So I have two phones - an iPhone 11 Pro Max and a Samsung Galaxy Note 9. I realize I can only have one connected at a time, so at any given time, whichever phone is connected via Bluetooth, my phone’s notifications are routed through the Tesla. If I have my media playing through my phone, then I can hear my notifications. But if I’m listening to the car’s TuneIn or Radio, it essentially “silences” my phone - meaning, I can’t hear anything because the phone is sending the notification sound to my car because it’s still connected (presumably for incoming calls) but because the audio source is not my phone for the music playing, I don’t hear any notifications.

Is there a way around this?

Another application:

I use Waze so I can hear “Police Reported Ahead” since Tesla’s maps don’t inform me...but unless I am streaming audio from my phone, I don’t hear anything coming through. I feel like this is quite cumbersome. Curious if there’s any workarounds.

Thanks all!

So I came upon this thread searching for solutions for my Note10 not giving notifications when connected to my Tesla, unless the music source was the phone. I searched elsewhere and found a solution, albeit not perfect. I tested it and I'm happy with the results. So copying here in case someone else faces the same issue:

"Download "Sound Assistant" app from Samsung App Store. (apparently the one in Google play store is different a little)

Go to "Advanced Settings" > disable "Alerts through headphones" then you're done. All the notifications will be played through the phone speaker.

It has some other cool features too (individual app volumes, now all my games are muted by default) I just found this today, so I hope it sticks thru all the updates. I did reboot to test that it doesn't go away.

Hope it helps."

The thread: No notification sounds on the phone when connected to bluetooth in Android 9.0 Pie - Android Community