Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heard at the Service Center . . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
I had experienced MCU reboot problems during our recent 5600 mile trip to Ohio and back, and the service center told me the following tips that I'd not heard before:

* Don't let the trip odometers go above 2000 miles, since the software uses these values to calculate performance parameters such as range remaining every 1/4 mile.

* Leave the web browser on a page like Google.com that doesn't do frequent, comprehensive web page updates automatically.

I'm really puzzled by the first one, since we should have at least a 32 bit OS. The second one makes some sense. I had 2018.12 and no map update for the trip.

• Funny
Reactions: David99 and cwerdna
The trip reset thing is nonsense. For the record, I have my Trip A at over 70,000 miles on my S now.

The trip meters are not used for any performance parameters... it's just a simple running total. It actually just sets the starting mileage and then calculates from the odometer and internal power usage numbers. There's nothing intense going on.

Agree on the Google front page. Leaving it on a complex updating web site kills the touchscreen even if the browser is not visible.

Here’s another one for you: don’t stream and navigate at the same time. My car was “looking for superchargers” forever until I stopped streaming audio.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
Here’s another one for you: don’t stream and navigate at the same time. My car was “looking for superchargers” forever until I stopped streaming audio.

Interesting.. my gut reaction to your above was to say.. "no way, that can't be true.." but I have actually seen similar behavior on a road trip or two -- but only when pushing the limits of my rated range and in not so densely populated SCer areas. At the time, I assumed it was a bug. but now that you mentioned it, I may have turned off the music to "concentrate" more on the Nav screen, and that may have solved it. LOL

Navigation had me going in circles and doubling back all around but never directly to the Glen Allen VA supercharger a few weeks ago. Wish I'd known not to stream music... But those are two pretty common functions to have to limit.

Agree on the Google front page. Leaving it on a complex updating web site kills the touchscreen even if the browser is not visible.

Interesting. I stream music continuously, rarely use radio (USB sometimes), and don't recall being aware of navigation being so slow. then again, maybe it would be faster if I paused the audio. I thought the navigation and the audio were done by separate processors, though....?

Interesting. I stream music continuously, rarely use radio (USB sometimes), and don't recall being aware of navigation being so slow. then again, maybe it would be faster if I paused the audio. I thought the navigation and the audio were done by separate processors, though....?

To be clear, I was streaming audio from the internet, i.e. TuneIn. That appeared to degrade the speed of determining Supercharger locations, which in turn prevented me from getting navigation routing for a considerable period of time, to the point where I had to pull over and wait for directions. It produced a nav solution shortly after I stopped the streaming internet audio.

To be clear, I was streaming audio from the internet, i.e. TuneIn. That appeared to degrade the speed of determining Supercharger locations, which in turn prevented me from getting navigation routing for a considerable period of time, to the point where I had to pull over and wait for directions. It produced a nav solution shortly after I stopped the streaming internet audio.
4g or 3g? or does it matter. Or does it matter where you are? we have 3g in some spots 4g doesn't work and vice versa.

• Disagree
Reactions: BluestarE3
Navigation had me going in circles and doubling back all around but never directly to the Glen Allen VA supercharger a few weeks ago. Wish I'd known not to stream music... But those are two pretty common functions to have to limit.
Our car has has never been able to find Glen Allen. After our first time there I just ignored the NAV and drove to it. Since we have had the car probably have visited it 10 times. Next visit may be different since we just got the new NAV software.

Our car has has never been able to find Glen Allen. After our first time there I just ignored the NAV and drove to it. Since we have had the car probably have visited it 10 times. Next visit may be different since we just got the new NAV software.

At most Superchargers the nav tends to just drop you in the general vicinity, without any real insight into where it actually is. Often it isn't even visible from the road in the direction you are traveling. This often leads to you roaming around in circles trying to find it.

Hopefully the new map system will improve on this. I don't have it yet so all I can say from recent experience is that the old one sucks at this.

At most Superchargers the nav tends to just drop you in the general vicinity, without any real insight into where it actually is. Often it isn't even visible from the road in the direction you are traveling. This often leads to you roaming around in circles trying to find it.

Hopefully the new map system will improve on this. I don't have it yet so all I can say from recent experience is that the old one sucks at this.
I found that the supercharger pin on the nav map is spot-on accurate. The bigger problem is the "entry point" dilemma, which is actually a huge challenge for map providers. One of the malls locally here takes around 20 minutes to fully drive around with traffic, so picking the right entry point is actually hugely important. Most non-Google maps just randomly pick the same entrance regardless of what store you're navigating to.

Reactions: Galve2000
I found that the supercharger pin on the nav map is spot-on accurate. The bigger problem is the "entry point" dilemma, which is actually a huge challenge for map providers. One of the malls locally here takes around 20 minutes to fully drive around with traffic, so picking the right entry point is actually hugely important. Most non-Google maps just randomly pick the same entrance regardless of what store you're navigating to.

Indeed. At a recent Supercharger stop it wasn't even evident which strip mall the Supercharger station was in. It can be hard to suss out when in traffic.

I had experienced MCU reboot problems during our recent 5600 mile trip to Ohio and back, and the service center told me the following tips that I'd not heard before:

* Don't let the trip odometers go above 2000 miles, since the software uses these values to calculate performance parameters such as range remaining every 1/4 mile.

* Leave the web browser on a page like Google.com that doesn't do frequent, comprehensive web page updates automatically.

I'm really puzzled by the first one, since we should have at least a 32 bit OS. The second one makes some sense. I had 2018.12 and no map update for the trip.

That is just some funny sh*t right there coming from an official Tesla employee. It is nonsense.

Resetting the odometer does absolutely nothing. It is just two numbers. The MCU does a lot more more complicated computations than dividing to numbers. It also makes no difference if it has to divide two small or two large numbers. I had some issues with my screen freezing up. The service center tried to reset my odometer that was untouched for 4 years! They also deleted all my navigation favorites and recent places. It made absolutely no difference. The screen would sill freeze up. The web browser is inactive when not visible. It takes up zero resources in the background.

The nonsense that comes out of some service advisors is just hilarious.

The other problem we have had looking for charging stations in unfamiliar locations with parking garages is that the navigation system can't or doesn't make it clear which level of a garage you want. Plus, once you are inside a garage, it is sometimes harder for the car to communicate with the satellites, so it can lose track of where you are. There is hardly ever a sign directing us to a charging locations (either Tesla superchargers or public chargers), which would help considerably.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99