Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hearing a "tink" noise on and off the accelerator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bill Foster

I'm going home!
Mar 6, 2019
Nashville
2018 model 3 stealth performance. 22k.

At slow speeds, while getting on and off the throttle there is a distinct metallic "tink" sound 30-40% of the time. Cant feel it in the body, almost like a dry half shaft joint or taking up some slop in the hub.

Searched, couldn't find anything on here.

Its under warranty but if its normal I cont want to waste my time

I've heard this, and its persistent, in at least four Model 3s (including mine) and two Model Ys. Using Tesla QA standards - operating within spec.

Is there some root cause waiting to be found? I bet.
Can the 'tink' be remedied? Likely.
Will service break 10 other things trying to do as little work to do it and still manage to leave it in place? Most defineatly.

It's all part of the adventure of an ordinary man at war with the everyday world...

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
2018 model 3 stealth performance. 22k.

At slow speeds, while getting on and off the throttle there is a distinct metallic "tink" sound 30-40% of the time. Cant feel it in the body, almost like a dry half shaft joint or taking up some slop in the hub.

Searched, couldn't find anything on here.

Its under warranty but if its normal I cont want to waste my time
I had this repaired under warranty on my car. They replaced a "rear drive unit" (CV joint?). It had developed this noise after about 12k miles. Several other people here had the same issue.

'Rear drive unit''is the rear motor assembly.

Really? Is that what it took to eliminate a very subtle almost silent metalic 'tink' sound that sounds as much as its coming from the DBW pedal assembly or brake booster diaphram, as it would from someone clicking an Altoid can hidden in their jacket or pocket, up front in the cabin.