TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Hearing crickets in Canada for Model X reservation holders.

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Jon, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Jon

Jon Member

Mar 2, 2013
    St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
    #1 Jon, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    Hi everyone,

First of all, it was great to meet so many fantastic and interesting people at TMC this year. The event, the factory tour, and the people I met were a highlight of my year.

Now I need to gripe a bit. Hopefully this might lead to a bit of communication.

In a few weeks it will have been three years since I test drove a Model S in Toronto and placed my reservation for a Canadian Signature Model X. I was assigned sequence number 13.

I am a very patient person (a requirement that was likely part of the forms that were signed when placing the reservation), however I feel that the requests for updates on Canadian Model X timeline estimates are falling on deaf Tesla ears. Every few months I make another inquiry, but I have yet to be told anything about when we can even expect to configure, let alone receive a car.

I have no problem waiting for the car's design and engineering to be finalized, and done right. It appears this is mostly complete, at least in the U.S. Yet nothing has been mentioned for Canada.

Now this issue has suddenly become more pressing for our family, as we have just adopted our fourth child (yay!). Neither of our two current cars can carry our family now. I have already replaced my truck with another ICE when I had hoped to have the Model X. Do I need to buy a minivan now, only to find out an ETA on the Model X tomorrow?

We could be a fantastic advertisement for a large family that travels with zero emissions, but it's getting hard to justify waiting when there isn't even an estimate of when we can configure. My wife reminds me she would like to leave the house sometimes.

Given the progress of U.S. reservation configuration and estimated delivery, it would be appropriate for Tesla Motors to at least email Canadian reservation holders, if nothing else to confirm we are getting their email.

///end bitch session///

Brand new two car garage is built. Fully finished exterior and interior. Heated floors and fiber internet service. Dedicated 200A panel, 20 KW standby generator, and two charge ports. I'm really looking forward to this car.

2. SMSMD

SMSMD Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Thanks Jon for your post...Hope Tesla hears the frustrations from the Canadian clients, its about time for them to respond , there was a post recently from one of the Signature X reservation holders who was told by Tesla that Canadian pricing is yet to be finalized ?? May be yet another stalling tactics. Good luck with your ETA , please do post once you get it.
  3. Martin VanB

Martin VanB Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Hi Jon,

Congratulations on your fourth child.

Thank You for your post. I understand what you are going through. I think pricing in Canada is the issue as well. My memory may fail me, but I thought all North American cars will be able to configure this year. I hope that ends up being the case. Yet we are now late December and not a peep from Tesla about Canada.

I also think Tesla wants to deliver as many Model X's in this quarter as possible. That would mean preferential treatment to the reservation holders in California and nearby states due to fewer delivery logistic issues. So there are a few reasons we may have to wait. Can you rent a minivan on a monthly term?
  4. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    I always interpreted Tesla's message to mean all US reservation holders would configure by end of year. I'd love to be wrong.
  5. bh1783

bh1783 Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Probably due to the decline in the Canadian currency. Hard to set a price when the Loonie has fallen so much. Right now the Model S in Canada sells for an 8% discount compared to its US counterpart.
  6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Apr 2, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Perfectly normal for Tesla. We had a similarly long and painful waiting period for the first Canadian Signature Model S.

FWIW, I think you'll get a much more mature vehicle than we did back in 2012.