Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heart broken situation: bought a Prius Prime instead of a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK folks. OP made his decision to go with a Prius. We don’t need to make him feel bad now.

Personally I think it's a cheap lesson (in the greater scheme of things) to sell the Prius back and go for the Tesla experience.
You cannot buy back time and regret is a bitch.

There are possible ways to recover the losses such as ride sharing the vehicle, renting it on Turo, etc.

It's a matter of willingness to right a wrong.

Reactions: EV-Tiger
Tesla does not have their act together on deliveries. That is a known fact.

As a previous Prius driver and a current M3 driver, it seems to me you have severely penalized yourself (for 4+ years) because Tesla has car delivery issues. In CA, you have the right to return a car to the dealer for any reason. Read your Prius purchase contract for the mileage allowed. I love driving my M3 and cannot see driving anything else, even for a month. Good luck to you Sir!

Reactions: MXWing
In my state fairly certain there is a 24 hour period for which you can change your mind.
I am sure the Toyota dealer would be very upset so may not be easy to do, make take some time to refund all of your money and that same law may not apply in California.

Federally there is no such law so think it varies state by state.

OK folks. OP made his decision to go with a Prius. We don’t need to make him feel bad now.

No man, some things need to be emphasized. This is not what I would ever tell one of my kids to do. For his sake I wish he had posted in here what he was contemplating doing! If he could afford an M3 there isn't a soul in here who would have told him to go for the Prius. I think I'm going to lose a few minutes of my afternoon nap today thinking about what I'd feel like if I did this:)

Reactions: MXWing
I am one of the people who got the cancelation call from Tesla recently. I was planning to get the car by the end of this year as they indicated online and sold my old car. So when I knew that I could not get the car at the EoY and even not in early January (SA told me), I was very upset. After struggling and I decided to face the reality that I cannot get the Tesla anyway in the near future (I mean, in a month) so I bought a Prius prime today, at 3:00pm, paid in full. At 5:00pm, I got message from Tesla which stated: I can pick up my car tomorrow......
Nice! Enjoy your new car with Carplay, Alexa, heated steering wheel, HUD, and a 640 mile range! If you really want a Tesla...you'll always be able to buy one in the future...maybe used with a huge discount from retail...or maybe Tesla will have lower pricing than today. Or maybe a different EV with the full $7500 tax credit...lots of EV options coming in 2020+!

Reactions: goletaspring
Why anyone sells their car before having their next one in the drive way is beyond me

Agreed. I have a BMW 335 sitting in my garage right next to the new 3 LR. No way were going to sell off the BMW until we got the new car. It goes to Carmax by mid January.

Every time I have have had to ordered a new car it has taken longer than the dealer said it would to get it in. My BMW X3 was supposed to be in in 2 months and took 4 months.

Agreed. I have a BMW 335 sitting in my garage right next to the new 3 LR. No way were going to sell off the BMW until we got the new car. It goes to Carmax by mid January.

Every time I have have had to ordered a new car it has taken longer than the dealer said it would to get it in. My BMW X3 was supposed to be in in 2 months and took 4 months.

Exactly. Maybe the OP is a relatively young kid. Lesson learned!

Reactions: jboy210
Why anyone sells their car before having their next one in the drive way is beyond me

We did. We had our MS as the only car to use until then but felt in Q3 2018 EoM not having a trade-in would make the purchase of my Model 3 easier for them and us. Less paperwork on their end to do and no extra car to store on a lot knowing how little extra space they had for trade-ins. I’m sure part of their logistics planning for location deliveries and when you get scheduled your car involves where all the trade-in will go until they get picked up by the wholesale auction guys. They have to have space for the new cars on the carriers. Anyway our insurance agent knew how we were handling it and for us getting the old car out of the way and all the paperwork done was a relief. Certainly didn’t want to sell after picking up the new car and having 3 cars in the driveway.

Last edited:
No man, some things need to be emphasized. This is not what I would ever tell one of my kids to do. For his sake I wish he had posted in here what he was contemplating doing! If he could afford an M3 there isn't a soul in here who would have told him to go for the Prius. I think I'm going to lose a few minutes of my afternoon nap today thinking about what I'd feel like if I did this:)

sadly I believe he did post his intentions on the Prius here

Tesla is canceling some deliveries which was scheduled at Dec 31 2019 8PM!

We did. We had our MS as the only car to use until then but felt in Q3 2018 EoM not having a trade-in would make the purchase of my Model 3 easier for them and us. Less paperwork on their end to do and no extra car to store on a lot knowing how little extra space they had for trade-ins. I’m sure part of their logistics planning for location deliveries and when you get scheduled your car involves where all the trade-in will go until they get picked up by the wholesale auction guys. They have to have space for the new cars on the carriers. Anyway our insurance agent knew how we were handling it and for us getting the old car out of the way and all the paperwork done was a relief. Certainly didn’t want to sell after picking up the new car and having 3 cars in the driveway.
I also didn't want Tesla dealing with my trade in so i sold off my BMW to the dealership a day after I got my model 3. Downside to waiting? Parking spot and depreciation for one day. Downside to not waiting? Get hosed like the op. Obvious choice.

I am one of the people who got the cancelation call from Tesla recently. I was planning to get the car by the end of this year as they indicated online and sold my old car. So when I knew that I could not get the car at the EoY and even not in early January (SA told me), I was very upset. After struggling and I decided to face the reality that I cannot get the Tesla anyway in the near future (I mean, in a month) so I bought a Prius prime today, at 3:00pm, paid in full. At 5:00pm, I got message from Tesla which stated: I can pick up my car tomorrow......

That must hurt...

I also didn't want Tesla dealing with my trade in so i sold off my BMW to the dealership a day after I got my model 3. Downside to waiting? Parking spot and depreciation for one day. Downside to not waiting? Get hosed like the op. Obvious choice.

That is sort of our thinking. When you trade in you are linking two transaction together, the sale to Tesla (actually a 3rd party) of your old car. and the purchase of a new car. The more pieces you have to get right, the more the transaction has a chance of failing. So we are separating the process like you. Get the new car, then sell the old one. Oh, and we are selling a BMW 3 series.

That is sort of our thinking. When you trade in you are linking two transaction together, the sale to Tesla (actually a 3rd party) of your old car. and the purchase of a new car. The more pieces you have to get right, the more the transaction has a chance of failing. So we are separating the process like you. Get the new car, then sell the old one. Oh, and we are selling a BMW 3 series.

I agree, that’s the way it works best with traditional dealers. But since you are not negotiating with Tesla over the purchase price, it makes it less important imo

I agree, that’s the way it works best with traditional dealers. But since you are not negotiating with Tesla over the purchase price, it makes it less important imo

There still is the issue of value of your trade-in. If you get in an accident the day before your trade it in for a new Tesla, the originally negotiated value of your trade-in is out the window.

There still is the issue of value of your trade-in. If you get in an accident the day before your trade it in for a new Tesla, the originally negotiated value of your trade-in is out the window.

True, but just pointing out that it’s different now with the Tesla pricing model versus traditional way. With traditional dealers you have to be concerned about two moving numbers (prices), with Tesla its only one (trade-in).

Nice, the dealership also beat trade in quote by 500.

Reactions: jboy210