Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heart broken situation: bought a Prius Prime instead of a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP:

1. It's your fault for waiting until the last minute. And if you can pay for a Prius in full, why are you so worried about an $1875 tax credit?
2. It's your fault for rushing out and buying a PRIUS.
3. Why did you rush to sell the old car before getting the new one?

So you could have a Tesla, but now you have a Toyota.

So it's all your fault. Not Tesla's. It's the end of the quarter, they are in a huge rush right now. You know this.

You seem a little short sighted, so let me help you look at a scenario that will help you answer your own questions.

-The Model 3 competes in the luxury segment.
-Luxury segment people tend to not to work on their cars very much, so they rely on paying someone to fix them.
-Luxury cars also tend to be not so durable over the long haul.
-Luxury cars tend to have very high repair bills as they age when they start to fail.
-Dealerships of luxury cars know all of these things, and they make a good business from telling owners when they come in for an oil change that their luxury car, while still driving ok today, is in dire need of major repairs for many thousands of dollars, but if they would prefer, they'll make them a deal on trading in the car as-is for a new luxury car.
-Those luxury buyers may decide they want to get off that train, sell their car before it blows up to get the most resale value, and try something different.
-So they go on Tesla's website, read what Tesla writes on their website, order their car with expectations set by Tesla, talk to reps from Tesla, and believe what those reps tell them because no one told them in advance that Tesla can't be trusted.
-They sell their car, while the selling is still good (before it blows up) because they foolishly still believe what Tesla told them is true.
-They get excited about saving $1875, because people with a lot of money often have a lot of money because they don't blow their money and they value it, and $1875 is a few really nice meals, or a good chunk of a vacation, or even 94 laps of really good fun at their favorite establishment.
-Then when they are told by Tesla they aren't going to get their car for an undetermined amount of time, they panic and buy another car because they find it easier to believe that Tesla won't get them the car very soon after their experience above, and are surprised when Tesla says "just kidding again!"

HTH

OP:

1. It's your fault for waiting until the last minute. And if you can pay for a Prius in full, why are you so worried about an $1875 tax credit?
2. It's your fault for rushing out and buying a PRIUS.
3. Why did you rush to sell the old car before getting the new one?

So you could have a Tesla, but now you have a Toyota.

So it's all your fault. Not Tesla's. It's the end of the quarter, they are in a huge rush right now. You know this.

• Informative
Reactions: Nozomi
"So they go on Tesla's website, read what Tesla writes on their website, order their car with expectations set by Tesla, talk to reps from Tesla, and believe what those reps tell them because no one told them in advance that Tesla can't be trusted."

No one told them that Tesla can't be trusted? Huh? If anyone has done even the slightest bit of homework, they'll QUICKLY find out that buying a Tesla can be an awful experience. It was for me, and it probably was for anyone reading this. How would you assume otherwise?
If you want to save money and have a smooth sales experience, buy a Prius. If you want a far superior/borderline luxury car, buy a new model 3.

You have to know what you’re looking for to know this important fact about Tesla.

Not everyone gets on car forums in advance. I do, and I spent a lot of time reading about the features about the car to decide on the version of the M3 I really wanted and didn’t read all the posts about Tesla’s shady practices until after the purchase.

Not a huge problem for my situation, but sucks for others in their situations.

Maybe Tesla should put links to the key forum posts right on their order page so people don’t enter into the Tesla world uneducated? Maybe make them click a button to agree they have read the posts before placing their order?

"So they go on Tesla's website, read what Tesla writes on their website, order their car with expectations set by Tesla, talk to reps from Tesla, and believe what those reps tell them because no one told them in advance that Tesla can't be trusted."

No one told them that Tesla can't be trusted? Huh? If anyone has done even the slightest bit of homework, they'll QUICKLY find out that buying a Tesla can be an awful experience. It was for me, and it probably was for anyone reading this. How would you assume otherwise?
If you want to save money and have a smooth sales experience, buy a Prius. If you want a far superior/borderline luxury car, buy a new model 3.

read all the posts about Tesla’s shady practices until after the purchase.

Not so much "shady" practices. I think disorganized is a more accurate word. Shady implies they intend to deceive you.

Back when I got my 3 in May '18, the deliveries were still slowly increasing, so I had the delivery room and delivery persons' full attention, and no rush. Total good experience.

Not so much "shady" practices. I think disorganized is a more accurate word. Shady implies they intend to deceive you.

Back when I got my 3 in May '18, the deliveries were still slowly increasing, so I had the delivery room and delivery persons' full attention, and no rush. Total good experience.

Shady does mean different things to different people, but to me, Tesla has become shady from what I have read on these forums.

When you know you are putting out a sub-standard product with manufacturing quality control issues, and then you keep changing your practices and policies about fixing those problems (e.g. shorten the time and mileage window, telling them no more due bills) so you can trap customers into accepting free quotes for the customer to pay for your manufacturing issues instead of fixing them for free like every other manufacturer, that's pretty much the definition of shady to me.

Someone up the chain is making a very conscience decision on how to balance customer satisfaction with profits.

I remember when Sprint created a policy that if you didn't dispute an incorrect charge on your bill within 30 days of it being issued, you were stuck paying those charges. So they just put crap all over the bill, took their time getting the bill to you to burn up some days, and then hoped you didn't notice the bogus charges amongst the many pages of crap they stuffed into their confusing bills with strange descriptions for the charges. They made a lot of temporary profit off the people that didn't want to spend their entire weekend studying and disputing their wireless bill, or were traveling during the window and didn't get to the bill until it was too late.

Look how far those shady practices got Sprint... Please pay attention to history Tesla!

Last edited: