Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heartfelt condolences to people in NZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dutchie

Jun 9, 2013
Canada
I know it doesn't have anything to do with Tesla, but I had tears in my eyes of the things that happend in this beautiful and peaceful country and the great city of Christchurch. I lived there once and love the people there. Nobody deserves this but of all places... New Zealand. The nicest most harmless people I have known.
All the best with coming to grips with this terrible situation!

Absolutely horrendous situation, and really hoping that the people of NZ dont think all Aussies think like this deranged idiot.
NZ however are lucky and should feel priviledged to have such a powerfull, strong, and connected leader, something that we can only aspire to from any of our someone useless leaders in politics. She will be the rock that will pull NZ through this unimaginably difficult time.
Oh and one more thing, people that need guns and violence to make themself feel powerful, you are the weakest pathetic humans on the planet. Darwin’s theory will catch up to all of you.

Yes, it's absolutely horrendous. The scary thing is that "kill 'em all and let god decide" instinct is in all of us to some degree. That's why we need gun control and some better AI screening of our youtube habits.
@Dborn, I hope you're not suggesting that this violence was deserved because of the violence of other muslims against Isreal.

Yes, it's absolutely horrendous. The scary thing is that "kill 'em all and let god decide" instinct is in all of us to some degree. That's why we need gun control and some better AI screening of our youtube habits.
@Dborn, I hope you're not suggesting that this violence was deserved because of the violence of other muslims against Isreal.
Not speaking for @Dborn, but his post didnt mention the nz situation. I didn’t draw any parallels at all, although I gave up long ago trying to understand Israel and the middle east.

I took it as how about we care about ALL the innocent people under attack.

That said there are a LOT of groups around the world under assault, the media is just selective in what they cover. What gets covered is more about who they can vilify than the atrocities that occurred.

I know it doesn't have anything to do with Tesla, but I had tears in my eyes of the things that happend in this beautiful and peaceful country and the great city of Christchurch. I lived there once and love the people there. Nobody deserves this but of all places... New Zealand. The nicest most harmless people I have known.
All the best with coming to grips with this terrible situation!

I was in Christchurch a few years ago, when the people there had recovered from the deadly earthquake a few years before.

It's so much worse when the loss of life is caused by evil.

My comment relates to the fact that I am stunned that the victims are always labeled as the aggressors in Israel. My concern is that because they are Jews, they don’t matter. 1 million people took to air raid shelters that night. Indiscriminate rocket fire was directed at civilians, men women and children. The “problem” over there is entirely Muslim based - their abject refusal to accept that the aboriginal people have returned to their land and further, land that was once Muslim should always remain Muslim. There are groups saying just that about Spain. Hiz But Tahrir is one such, - one of their interviewees said as much on TV a few years ago In Australia in a program I watched.
N Z was bad and uncalled for. The coverage is wall to wall. I don’t remember the equivalent Recent Synagogue attack in the USA receiving this type of intense second by second and repeat coverage.
How many terrorist attacks are committed by non Muslims compared to the reverse? This is not a justification statement and don’t turn it into one. Modern airport security, a pet peeve of mine, is entirely the consequence of past Muslim attacks, notably aircraft hijackings. The Bali bombings. The extremely long list of murder organizations - Boko haram, Jamah Islamiya, al Shabab, al Queda, ISIS, Hizbollah, Hamas, the seemingly infinite number of groups in Syria, Iran, the list goes on are ALL Muslim based and inspired. I don’t make the distinction between Islam and Islamist. That is a simple attempt at a whitewash. There clearly is a major problem with the foundation of the religion that seeks violence and domination against all others, and even against those Muslims who don’t happen to follow the specific brand of the specific organization involved. The religion is seriously in needs of a reformation.

The Ahmaddiyya sect are indeed peaceful and have undergone a reformation, but are universally regarded as heretics by the rest. (Who, according to the warped teachings of the religion, should be beheaded). I am more than happy to have them here as migrants.

None of this justifies NZ, but certainly reveals the root source of his motivation and why he doesn’t want further migration from that source. It cannot be denied that most Western countries have sent indigenous Muslims to Syria and Iraq in recent times to become terrorists. We currently have huge issues with them now wanting to come “home”. Would we have that issue if they weren’t here in the first place? How about the Lindt cafe siege, the murder of Curtis Chang?
Radicalization just reinforces the facts that the underlying religion is the issue. If it were a religion of peace then radicalization would reinforce peaceful intent.

I had no intention of launching into this, but my hand was forced by the comments above.

No surprise you've managed to spoil the original posters heartfelt condolences to the families and victims in Christchurch with this rascist Murdoch inspired rant, Dborn hate is not solved with more hate, your words are just as damaging as any person with a weapon.
Peace be with us brother.

• Disagree
Reactions: SSedan and Dutchie
And therein lies the problem. This is a Tesla forum for all things Tesla. Yes, there should be free speech, but their are lots of forums for politics and religious biases - we all have them.

Under the Terms of Service for this forum, point 5. a. states: "You agree to not use the Service to:

a. upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable. TeslaMotorsClub.com is not the place for debate on religion, sex, politics, or other such controversial posts not directly related to issues having to do with electric cars; and this is not the place to talk about illegal downloads or how to obtain them. There are several forums on the Internet dedicated for discussing this type of material. This is not one of them."

Let's all respect and abide by the rules we all agreed to when we signed up to use this forum.

• Informative
Reactions: paulp and ALLZAP
@Dborn I understand that opinions are informed by perspective, and if you're part of a persecuted group it becomes harder to care for other members of the persecuting group, even if they aren't directly related.
But we have to keep the upper hand morally, rather than seek revenge and equal treatment. I'm an atheist, but I firmly believe that "turning the other cheek" is a fundamental strength, and is one of the reasons I'd rather live in the Western culture than the Islamic one. We have to be tough enough to accept unfair treatment, and keep doing the right thing in spite of our aggressors.

I have nothing further to add and would not have commented beyond my original post. I don’t appreciate being second guessed. I too am an atheist. Keep perspective. My main point was with the hysteria.
It was hardly second guessing. You replied to a "we're sorry about muslims dying in NZ" post with "yeah well I'm sorry about Jews under threat in Israel".
And if your point was that the two events should get equal coverage (or "hysteria" as you like to call it) then you obviously don't realise how utterly uninteristing yet another ruction in the middle east is after 71 years of same, compared with NZ's largest ever mass shooting (with an Australian protagonist no less).
Talk about keeping perspective...

No surprise you've managed to spoil the original posters heartfelt condolences to the families and victims in Christchurch with this rascist Murdoch inspired rant, Dborn hate is not solved with more hate, your words are just as damaging as any person with a weapon.
Peace be with us brother.

Thank you. As the original poster I saw that as a first comment and thought: "What is this?" I read today this guy shot even a three year old while this little kid was running away. This was a kid.. an innocent kid..

• Love
Reactions: Blue heaven
To the issue of this thread. As many of you know, I have NZ family and have been in much contact with them over the past 48 hours. Although my in-laws are many generations Christchurch-ers, at present most of the direct family lives in Dunedin, with many connections to the University there. Reading below you will learn of the reason for that specific jolt. Follows is the latest I have received, with certain personal material excised.

It has been a very sobering 48 hours...New Zealand is a comparatively peaceful country. We had the Aramoana massacre by David Grey in 1990, which shocked the country, but it was seen as a random act by a schizophrenic in his home village - not a calculated attack by a person intent on fomenting hatred and division who purposely came to NZ because he believed it would make the most impact - "nowhere is safe, not even NZ" - was his stated aim. It is sickening to realise that he looked up to the current orange buffoon as a role model of, in his own words: "a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose". Perhaps the only thing sentiment he expressed that I agree with is putting Drumpf and Anders Brevik in the same category.

There has been a bright light out of all this - our PM has shown the type of tolerance and aroha we need, donning a hijab and meeting with the families of the victims in person in their own homes. And she has promised, and I believe will follow through on this, to introduce stricter gun control laws - as people in this region are saying, this is NZ's "Port Arthur" moment - the Australian response to the massacres in Tasmania in 1996. There is no conceivable need for anyone to own an AR-15, the type of rifle that was used, which can so easily be modified to become a semi-automatic assault rifle. I believe that there is the will to ensure that the legislation goes through - and although there is a pro-hunting lobby here, it is nothing compared to the incredible political power of the NRA and all the clout they have. No one here wants NZ to go the way of the USA and see gun violence as an 'inevitable'.

I love this country very much and I have always felt safe here, and still do. The genuine shock and outpouring of support and grief for the Muslim community is real. In Dunedin we have Syrian and Afghani refugee families that have settled here - and we will continue to make them feel that they are wanted and belong. There are many Muslim students at the university (the scary thing is he was living here in Dunedin and had originally intended to target our mosque, which is in the heart of the student quarter) and I believe that most of the community does not have any problem with the fact that they are not from NZ - most of us are pakeha here these days (non-Māori) so we are all "outsiders" one way or another. There are haters, always will be I suppose, but they are the minority voice and I believe will not be emboldened by this hateful act but will slink into their corners and fade away. In just 48 hours, the community here has already raised over $4mn to support the families affected. That may not sound like that much, but NZ has only about 4.4mn people living here.

Anyway, I hate seeing our tiny corner of the world in the news for this, but I hope that we respond in a way that the world takes notice and realises there is a better way to move forward.

To the issue of this thread. As many of you know, I have NZ family and have been in much contact with them over the past 48 hours. Although my in-laws are many generations Christchurch-ers, at present most of the direct family lives in Dunedin, with many connections to the University there. Reading below you will learn of the reason for that specific jolt. Follows is the latest I have received, with certain personal material excised.

It has been a very sobering 48 hours...New Zealand is a comparatively peaceful country. We had the Aramoana massacre by David Grey in 1990, which shocked the country, but it was seen as a random act by a schizophrenic in his home village - not a calculated attack by a person intent on fomenting hatred and division who purposely came to NZ because he believed it would make the most impact - "nowhere is safe, not even NZ" - was his stated aim. It is sickening to realise that he looked up to the current orange buffoon as a role model of, in his own words: "a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose". Perhaps the only thing sentiment he expressed that I agree with is putting Drumpf and Anders Brevik in the same category.

There has been a bright light out of all this - our PM has shown the type of tolerance and aroha we need, donning a hijab and meeting with the families of the victims in person in their own homes. And she has promised, and I believe will follow through on this, to introduce stricter gun control laws - as people in this region are saying, this is NZ's "Port Arthur" moment - the Australian response to the massacres in Tasmania in 1996. There is no conceivable need for anyone to own an AR-15, the type of rifle that was used, which can so easily be modified to become a semi-automatic assault rifle. I believe that there is the will to ensure that the legislation goes through - and although there is a pro-hunting lobby here, it is nothing compared to the incredible political power of the NRA and all the clout they have. No one here wants NZ to go the way of the USA and see gun violence as an 'inevitable'.

I love this country very much and I have always felt safe here, and still do. The genuine shock and outpouring of support and grief for the Muslim community is real. In Dunedin we have Syrian and Afghani refugee families that have settled here - and we will continue to make them feel that they are wanted and belong. There are many Muslim students at the university (the scary thing is he was living here in Dunedin and had originally intended to target our mosque, which is in the heart of the student quarter) and I believe that most of the community does not have any problem with the fact that they are not from NZ - most of us are pakeha here these days (non-Māori) so we are all "outsiders" one way or another. There are haters, always will be I suppose, but they are the minority voice and I believe will not be emboldened by this hateful act but will slink into their corners and fade away. In just 48 hours, the community here has already raised over $4mn to support the families affected. That may not sound like that much, but NZ has only about 4.4mn people living here.

Anyway, I hate seeing our tiny corner of the world in the news for this, but I hope that we respond in a way that the world takes notice and realises there is a better way to move forward.
This is all very sad for NZ (regardless of other woes around the world), however you have a rock in your PM. She will guide NZ through.

Reactions: ICUDoc
I don’t believe that expressing condolences to the people of New Zealand affected by this atrocity shows any disrespect to other persecuted groups or that these other groups have been ignored or forgotten.
I think all parties have expressed their opinions on this unrelated topic and I will be deleting any further discussion of unrelated groups however worthy as they are off topic to this particular thread.
If you reply to any future post that mention these other groups you can expect to have that deleted also.