Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat Consistency Worse After Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d say that climate control in my 2020 Y has never been great, but since recent updates they appear to be worse. My Y does an excellent job of pre-heating and mostly keeps the car warm at slow speeds. However, when I get on a highway or drive above, say 35-40, cool and sometimes cold air can be felt mixed in with the warm. It is almost like there is outside opening that isn’t shut properly. Mostly I feel this around my legs and feet. But there seems to be more cool sent to the upper register as well. I think this began with the holiday update, but could also have been one of the smaller downloads directly after.

So, I have not had any sensor updates, like many others have discussed. Possibly this would fix the problem. It just seems strange that the heat works wonderfully when stopped or moving slow and becomes increasingly colder when driving faster.

Just curious if anyone else has a similar experience?

Reactions: beachmiles
I’d say that climate control in my 2020 Y has never been great, but since recent updates they appear to be worse. My Y does an excellent job of pre-heating and mostly keeps the car warm at slow speeds. However, when I get on a highway or drive above, say 35-40, cool and sometimes cold air can be felt mixed in with the warm. It is almost like there is outside opening that isn’t shut properly. Mostly I feel this around my legs and feet. But there seems to be more cool sent to the upper register as well. I think this began with the holiday update, but could also have been one of the smaller downloads directly after.

So, I have not had any sensor updates, like many others have discussed. Possibly this would fix the problem. It just seems strange that the heat works wonderfully when stopped or moving slow and becomes increasingly colder when driving faster.

Just curious if anyone else has a similar experience?
I have the opposite problem (in my 3)...especially when on manual setting with just the floor vents open. Seems no matter what temp I set, the car wants to bake my feet! I'm taking my car in for service today to take care of some issues, and I added "car cooks my feet" as an issue for them to check out. I didn't start using the HVAC in earnest till around the same time as the holiday update ('21 July delivery) so not sure if the update caused this or it was like this from the get go.

I've always noticed that my MY does not do a good job of maintaining the cabin temp when it's cold out. Today I was on the highway for an hour, outside temp was avg 27F. Had the cabin set for 67, felt warm (had the seat heater on level 1). After a while I found my legs and feet getting cold. Turned up the heat to 70, was toasty again quickly. A while later, same thing happened, cold feet. Turned up to 73, nice and toasty. Got too warm and turned the heat back to 67. Went through the same cycle.

The sensors were replaced a year ago while the car was at SC for another issue. I didn't really notice any change, but it was summer time.

MY VIN X48XXX. Software, 22.4

Anyone else have this issue? Was it able to be resolved?

I've always noticed that my MY does not do a good job of maintaining the cabin temp when it's cold out. Today I was on the highway for an hour, outside temp was avg 27F. Had the cabin set for 67, felt warm (had the seat heater on level 1). After a while I found my legs and feet getting cold. Turned up the heat to 70, was toasty again quickly. A while later, same thing happened, cold feet. Turned up to 73, nice and toasty. Got too warm and turned the heat back to 67. Went through the same cycle.

The sensors were replaced a year ago while the car was at SC for another issue. I didn't really notice any change, but it was summer time.

MY VIN X48XXX. Software, 22.4

Anyone else have this issue? Was it able to be resolved?
Sounds very similar to my situation. We also have a similar build 51XXX, though I have upgraded software to 30.11. I would also agree that the heating always been wonk, it just seems particularly bad post software upgrade. Oh, and I have not had my sensors replaced as I have never brought my car to SC. It’s about 2 hours away and unless I absolutely have to…..

The climate control in my M3LR is just unacceptable in cold weather with temps under about 28F degrees. When it is under 20F it is a constant struggle toggling between different modes and settings. I have found using the front defroster is the best and quickest way to get the temperature warm enough, but it is loud and looks to use much more battery power while functioning. If there’s one thing I miss about an ICE vehicle, it’s the fully-functional climate controls.

"If there’s one thing I miss about an ICE vehicle, it’s the fully-functional climate controls."

Agreed! But I don't think it's the lack of ICE, I think it's about the software. I can get plenty of heat if I set the cabin to 78.

My MY HVAC system acts as if, once it reaches the set temp, it stops serving up heat and doesn't bother checking the cabin temp again. Changing any setting seems to cause the system to check the cabin temp and act accordingly. I wish I could see what the car thinks the cabin temp is vs what it actually is using a independent sensor.

davraker - my software is 2022.4, the next iteration of code from 2021.30.11. Just got it two days ago, before my little road trip.

My MY HVAC system acts as if, once it reaches the set temp, it stops serving up heat and doesn't bother checking the cabin temp again.
“Doesn’t bother checking”….exactly. It is clear that the car can warm up properly, it just cant seem to maintain it consistently once warmed. With all the technology built in, this would seem a simple problem to solve.

Note to Elon, please have car check internal temperature sporadically when driving. My feet will be grateful.