Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat effect on battery overnight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I just picked up my Model X and was wondering how the car handles over night parking in a garage in the Houston heat. If I dont plug it in how much battery loss should I expect and does the car actually cool the battery.

I was also wondering if I should leave the smart preconditioning on in the cabin or not? Am I able to turn off smart preconditioning?

Thanks,

Manish

Smart preconditioning is optional.

I don't think the car actively cools the battery unless you're charging it while the battery is hot. Lithium ion batteries don't like to be charged while they are too hot or too cold.

Thanks Gavine. So do you know if there is a temp that is too high for the battery. I have read that if it reaches 140 F then it can void the warranty. Since I live in Houston and it gets hot here, I would like to try and avoid this happening.

Thanks Gavine. So do you know if there is a temp that is too high for the battery. I have read that if it reaches 140 F then it can void the warranty. Since I live in Houston and it gets hot here, I would like to try and avoid this happening.
I was wondering the same thing. I live in Vegas, and it gets even hotter during the Summer months here! At times I have seen the inside cabin temp reaching 173 F, with outside temp reaching 115 F or even higher. If parked in my friend's driveway not plugged in for 4-5hrs,
I am sure the battery temps would reach quite high. Would the software recognize and cool the battery down even though it isn't plugged in, assuming battery level is sufficiently charged?

From the Model X owners manual the following information can be found:

"Temperature Limits: For better long-term performance, avoid exposing Model X to ambient temperatures above 140° F (60° C) or below -22° F (-30° C) for more than 24 hours at a time."

The car takes care of the battery. You don't have to worry. If the temperatures reach critical levels (hot or cold) the car will passively or actively cool or heat the battery. Nothing as a user you can do to directly or manually control the battery temperature.
The only important thing you can do keeping your battery healthy for a long time is not charging it much more than you need. For example, if you only need 100 miles a day, don't charge to 90% or even higher.

The car takes care of the battery. You don't have to worry. If the temperatures reach critical levels (hot or cold) the car will passively or actively cool or heat the battery. Nothing as a user you can do to directly or manually control the battery temperature.
The only important thing you can do keeping your battery healthy for a long time is not charging it much more than you need. For example, if you only need 100 miles a day, don't charge to 90% or even higher.

Thanks everyone. Tesla service set my X to charge at 90%. They said it is fine to do that. I am wondering if I should go lower and only do 85%. From what I have read, the batteries are much better now than they were a few years ago so 90% should not be a problem, but would love to hear the thoughts.

Thanks everyone. Tesla service set my X to charge at 90%. They said it is fine to do that. I am wondering if I should go lower and only do 85%. From what I have read, the batteries are much better now than they were a few years ago so 90% should not be a problem, but would love to hear the thoughts.

It certainly is fine to charge to 90%. It is a known fact though that batteries last longer when you stay away from high charge levels. So yes charging to 80% instead of 90% daily will be better for the battery. Charging to 70% instead of 80 daily would be even better. That's the reason the slider does go all the way down to 50%. It is better for the battery to keep it at a lower level. I would always be on the safe side and charge more than enough to make you through the day. I'm just saying, if you know for sure you don't need more than 80 miles the next day, charging to a lower level helps the battery a little without any sacrifice.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
Last night when I plugged my S in the battery was at 44 C (really hot and lots of supercharging that day). This morning the battery was still at 44 C since the car had charged all night at 40 A. Once active cooling kicks in it is super obvious as the battery temps plummet.

My thought is don't overthink this. There will be no meaningful difference to the battery. You'd just be treating yourself. Just enjoy the car.

This is as close as I have found to answering my question. One of my Lexus hybrids used to turn on the AC (if I was not using it) to cool the hybrid system and it would annunciate that. On my MS I frequently leave the climate control "off" (or set manually to no AC and "auto" otherwise). So I have wondered on warm nights, parked in the garage charging,(actually anytime the battery needs coolant) does the battery need climate control or are the cooling systems for cabin and battery separate?

This is as close as I have found to answering my question. One of my Lexus hybrids used to turn on the AC (if I was not using it) to cool the hybrid system and it would annunciate that. On my MS I frequently leave the climate control "off" (or set manually to no AC and "auto" otherwise). So I have wondered on warm nights, parked in the garage charging,(actually anytime the battery needs coolant) does the battery need climate control or are the cooling systems for cabin and battery separate?

The car will turn on the AC compressor if needed for the battery cooling even if its off for the cabin.

Reactions: Ciaopec