Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat Effects & Overnight Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 12V battery was dead this morning in my ICE. Pretty typical here in Vegas where it's triple-digits all night. We routinely see about 2-3 years of use for our 12V batteries on our ICE cars. And we even take measures to cool the garage by venting the big door and opening the side doors, but those have to be closed and locked when it's time for bed.

This got me thinking. How do both the 12V battery and the main battery pack in a Tesla deal with extreme heat? Especially overnight in a garage that might be 95 dF by sunrise.

What do you Tesla owners in the extreme heat see? Any long term effects on the car and battery degradation?

Thanks!

The big battery pack is managed by the car. It will use the A/C to cool it if necessary.
As long as you do not plan to leave it unplugged for weeks/months in the heat, it will be fine.

The 12V battery is not thermally managed however (just like in an ICE), and Tesla seems to be keen to keep the computers running, so the that battery is used quite a lot even when the car is 'off', which is the opposite of ICE.

So, the 12V battery will probably fare worse than what you are used to.