Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat failure - Refresh MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a "fun" day trip today in our mid-2022 MS LR. Green Bay to Milwaukee, WI and return in relatively cool conditions (12°F/-11°C at mid-day). Everything was fine on the drive to Milwaukee in the morning. The car cooled down while I was shopping in the Glendale mall, and upon return it now claimed that I would be a bit short of range to make it home. So I decided to do the two minute drive to the Glendale Supercharger to get a small charge. The charge rate was very slow due to the cold battery - 58kW at the start, slowly increasing to 72 kW as the battery warmed a bit. I suspect the heat pump was working hard to help warm the battery pack.

The big problem hit shortly after leaving the superchager, when I got a "Cabin climate control system requires service. Cabin heating / cooling limited or unavailable". The notifications showed an active alert "VCFRONT_a447". Sure enough, there was very little heat produced, and it was pretty cold in the car by the time I got home almost two hour later. I did try a two thumb reset, and I also shut the HVAC down for a few minutes then restarted it. In all cases the error returned about 90s after the HVAC started back up.

There were a huge number of MY heat pump issues in the early days, but Tesla seems to have largely sorted that out by now. I can only find two other people posting about MS heat pump issues, so it would seem that the lessons from the MY were used in the MS physical and SW designs.

I've got an appointment at the Service Center in Milwaukee on 2/6 - hopefully they can find the problem and have the parts on hand to fix it.

I drove to Milwaukee this morning, wearing cold weather flying gear, for the first time since I left the Canadian military in 1994. It was a much more comfortable drive then the one I did a week ago when the system failed while I was on a road trip. Tesla Service had already diagnosed a compressor failure via the remote data, so they were all ready to go when I arrived at 9:15. They gave me a loaner 2016 Model S 90D, so I spent the day doing errands. The car was ready to go about 4:00 PM.

I'm not sure why the HVAC compressor failed, but I note that they also replaced the Super Manifold. Perhaps it had some defect that caused a leak, and running the compressor without refrigerant caused it to fail. Or maybe they damaged the super manifold during the work. Or maybe it comes in a sub-assembly with the compressor and it is quicker to change them together as one unit.

The HVAC worked normally on the way home. It was great to have my car back in operation.

Reactions: byeLT4