Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat from Tesla Model 3 sunroof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
today I was driving my beautiful Tesla Model 3.
Love it! :)

One only problem. It was +34C outside and I was clearly feeling a heat above my head coming from glass sunroof.

Do you guys experience the same issue?
If yes then how you deal with it?

Noticed what i thought was an odd soccerball sized spot where water would pool and turn a purplish orange color. Turns out the whole roof was supposed to look that way.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180616_115413.jpg
    MVIMG_20180616_115413.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 1,636
Hi everyone,

One only problem. It was +34C outside and I was clearly feeling a heat above my head coming from glass sunroof.

Got mine heavily tinted with 3M. The shop offered 3 grades to protect against UV And heat. I chose the middle grade. I do not feel any heat from above. The downside is, it’s not too visible if you want look up.

Hi everyone,

Both heat and glare are a problem, especially in the lower latitudes, yes.

Until I remember to add tinted window film, I use a baseball cap when the sun is overhead to address the latter, and the AC to address the former.

Tint will happen, however. Despite Tesla’s assertions that UV is sufficiently blocked, I have a friend who has a bit of a thing about taking care of her skin, and so tint there shall be.

I should have added it long ago as I prefer the car interior and contents remain under 100F. That won’t happen in the desert or even in SoCal when it’s ~90F out. As it will be along the coast in about a week.

Sometimes, low tech and the path of least resistance are best :).

Reactions: RealDeael
Most tint shops couldn’t do the rear glass because they don’t carry that size. The ones that do, they appear to increase the price because they know it’s Tesla.

OC tint shop in Irvine, Ca

450.00 - lowest grade
600.00 - middle grade
900.00 (I think) - highest grade

All windows, except windshield.

Interesting. Photosync (for an S) would be around $1100 iirc including the windshield, sides and rear, but *not* the roof (2 panels if pano). Not including the C-Bond additive and separate exterior windshield coating, both of which I strongly recommend. Extreme Autowerks, now in Brea, is the SoCal source for the latter, and they are authorized for Photosync as well.

Will call next week to see what the roof will cost to tint and will post what I find out if I remember.

I was clearly feeling a heat above my head coming from glass sunroof
I understand what you are describing, but the Model 3 does not have a “sunroof”. Tesla calls the roof a “Tinted glass roof”. See the Specs section on this page Model 3 . The Model S does have a sunroof option, and comes standard with a tinted glass roof.

define: sunroof - Google Search

sun·roof
noun
  1. a panel in the roof of a car that can be opened for extra ventilation.