Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat / HVAC on 7.0 - poor performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My addled brain remembers a number of threads where we were all saying the internal temp of the car was always higher (via app, or independently), than set. This was both for AC (when hot outside) and heat (when cold outside). Is this the same thing, i.e. Start trusting the number more?

Yes, that is the point I was trying to make. So if under v6.2 you put it at 68 F to get a specific level of heat out of the system, under v7.0 68 F will provide less heat. If you were setting to 68 F b/c you wanted 71 F in the car with v6.2, then under v7.0 you should set to 71 F.

Resistance heat is so much more thirsty than A/C. In my colder 30-50 degree mornings, Version 7 has made the car more like an old vehicle where I'd just crank it, and turn it down when happy. If I set 70-75, the heating speed is slower, and seems to blow around cold air for too long.

Version 2.7.56 (7.0) on an early vin (6273) still having heating trouble (as in low to no heating) since the upgrade to 7.0. After a little more testing what I think the problem has to do with the fan speed control. With the setpoint at 73°F, with the cabin cold, like around 65°F, the fan speed will stay at 2. Running the setpoint up to 80°F it will eventually speed up the fan to around 4 or 5 and the cabin heats up to about 74°F. If I manually set the fan speed up to 8 to 10 with the setpoint at 73°F it appear to cycle the heat to maintain around 73°F. Also putting the screen defrost on the 1st setting the car warms up to and stays at setpoint, this is because it runs the fan at max.

I reported it to the SC and also via the on-board bug submission over two weeks ago and still no fix. Sure wish Tesla would fix this soon, getting annoying.

Version 2.7.56 (7.0) on an early vin (6273) still having heating trouble (as in low to no heating) since the upgrade to 7.0. After a little more testing what I think the problem has to do with the fan speed control. With the setpoint at 73°F, with the cabin cold, like around 65°F, the fan speed will stay at 2. Running the setpoint up to 80°F it will eventually speed up the fan to around 4 or 5 and the cabin heats up to about 74°F. If I manually set the fan speed up to 8 to 10 with the setpoint at 73°F it appear to cycle the heat to maintain around 73°F. Also putting the screen defrost on the 1st setting the car warms up to and stays at setpoint, this is because it runs the fan at max.

I reported it to the SC and also via the on-board bug submission over two weeks ago and still no fix. Sure wish Tesla would fix this soon, getting annoying.

It's only taken Tesla 3 years to further screw up the HVAC system which never worked properly to begin with. Things that "just work" in other cars don't in a Tesla. Maybe Tesla should provide some blankets as a retrofit item. Maybe Consumer Reports can write about the the amazing blanket retrofit.

Drove from Chicago to Saint louis last night, the temp was about 27F outsize. The whole trip I had to fiddle with the temp as it seemed no matter how high it was set it would almost cool the car off. Finally after setting it to 83 the car felt comfortable. It does seem that the HVAC is a bit jacked since 7

Drove from Chicago to Saint louis last night, the temp was about 27F outsize. The whole trip I had to fiddle with the temp as it seemed no matter how high it was set it would almost cool the car off. Finally after setting it to 83 the car felt comfortable. It does seem that the HVAC is a bit jacked since 7

My wife and I were charging at the Flagstaff AZ SC and getting chilled with our NorCal settings so we called the Worldwide Service number. Friendly staffer suggested we dial up the temperature all the way up to HI, and the system responded quickly such that just a few minutes later, we were dialing things back. So try ignoring the numerical temperature setting, and just raise and lower it till you're comfortable. A half hour later we were in the mountains with 28*F showing as the outdoor temperature and we were fine. ==> Note that when it's really cold outside, the car's windows will be really cold and what was a "perfect" temperature setting in mild weather will not feel warm enough due to radiant heat transfer from your face, neck and hands (and to a lesser extent, clothing and hair) to the windows.

So in other words... Under v6.2 we had to ignore the displayed temp when cooling the car and just lower it until we are comfortable (usually 3-4*F lower). Under 7.0, we have to do the same, but for heat; ignore the displayed temp and raise it up until we are comfortable.

My experience is the heater software is bonkers in 7.0. Last few days have been <50deg F (cold for bay area) and if I set everything to auto, and temp to 80, the car will set fan speed to 2 and blow cold air. If I take manual control of the fanspeed, and set it between 8 and 11 it seems to start blowing warm air. Not hot, like it used to, but lukewarm. Quite uncomfortable. Used to just set it to 72-74 and it would blow hot air, and get uncomfortably warm. Now it almost gets warm, if you set fan speed to 11.

Getting quite frustrated that Tesla can't seem to make functioning HVAC software. It has always been an exercise in figuring out what the computer does based on different settings and figuring out how to game how the system responds to different settings. Why can't it just work like every single other car? (Although the AC seems better in 7.0 and I actually don't seem like I'm fighting the AC system anymore).

Getting quite frustrated that Tesla can't seem to make functioning HVAC software. It has always been an exercise in figuring out what the computer does based on different settings and figuring out how to game how the system responds to different settings. Why can't it just work like every single other car? (Although the AC seems better in 7.0 and I actually don't seem like I'm fighting the AC system anymore).

When my car was recently serviced, I asked my service center not to upgrade me to v7. They did ask me why and this was one of the points I brought up. Hopefully that helps send a message and Tesla makes a tweak to the HVAC algorithms with the next v7 update.

So in other words... Under v6.2 we had to ignore the displayed temp when cooling the car and just lower it until we are comfortable (usually 3-4*F lower). Under 7.0, we have to do the same, but for heat; ignore the displayed temp and raise it up until we are comfortable.

Yah, kind of like the dial or sliding lever that we had in our cars back in the 80s... What amazing software engineers must work for Tesla. Okay I'm just kidding.

Last edited:
Hopefully that helps send a message and Tesla makes a tweak to the HVAC algorithms with the next v7 update.

You are assuming of course that the "tweak" doesn't make things worse. :)

With 7.0, it seemed that cooling got better...but now I'm trying now to figure out how to make the heating behave without constant fiddling. This is my first experience with that Model S in cold weather...well at least what passes for cold here in the SF Bay Area. Never had to do this on my Prius (stop laughing folks)...on that car I could keep the same HVAC settings for an entire season.

I had a day where my heat completely stopped working with V7. It was blowing air conditioning even at HI for 20 minutes. After I got home I plugged in and the heat started working. The car was fully charged when the heat wasn't turning on and I tried several steering wheel reboots. It's been a week and everything is working as "normal".

I had the cabin temp on 75 degrees today and was very surprised to find that the cabin was getting colder, (outside temp - 43).
Turning the fan up only produced cold air and it didn't matter if the heater was set on re-circulate or blend.
I could hear the fan making more noise as I turned the fan setting up, but the air flow was minor to none. I checked the center vents and the air was coming out but not as fast as it should on 11!
I switched the air flow to the floor and the flow was almost zero. I switched it to the defroster and it was a medium flow but not an 11.
I could feel the cabin was producing a sense of heat around my head but certainly wasn't producing any heated air from any vents, especially the floor.
As noted, the air speed was changing rates but it didn't change any of the vent selections, at least, not that I could sense it because the air flow was so weak. Even the air flow from the console, to back seat vents was very weak.
The air conditioner worked very good this summer, so this part of the HVAC system worries me.
My feet and legs were telling me that riding in the Tesla this winter, isn't going to be very comfortable, so until Tesla fixes this issue, it looks like I better bundle up!!

- - - Updated - - -

It's weird how it works now. When I get in the car in the morning, I can feel the heat, but the fan speed is quite low. It almost feels like there is a radiant heater under the dash. Then, as I drive, it actually starts getting colder. I can feel the cold in my legs and feet. Usually, turning the fan speed up manually helps, but I do wonder how it's going to be when it starts getting really cold.

Exactly! I thought I was imagining the 'radiant heat' thing. I couldn't tell where the heat was coming from all I knew was my feet and legs were very uncomfortable.

I'm on the first autopilot 7 release, whichever that is, on VIN 63623 S85, I noticed the temps now reflect reality, fan speed is lower, but it still heats up fine if you turn the temp up over 78 or so. Maybe different models are having the issue and some aren't?

I had the cabin temp on 75 degrees today and was very surprised to find that the cabin was getting colder, (outside temp - 43).
Turning the fan up only produced cold air and it didn't matter if the heater was set on re-circulate or blend.
I could hear the fan making more noise as I turned the fan setting up, but the air flow was minor to none. I checked the center vents and the air was coming out but not as fast as it should on 11!
I switched the air flow to the floor and the flow was almost zero. I switched it to the defroster and it was a medium flow but not an 11.
I could feel the cabin was producing a sense of heat around my head but certainly wasn't producing any heated air from any vents, especially the floor.
As noted, the air speed was changing rates but it didn't change any of the vent selections, at least, not that I could sense it because the air flow was so weak. Even the air flow from the console, to back seat vents was very weak.
The air conditioner worked very good this summer, so this part of the HVAC system worries me.
My feet and legs were telling me that riding in the Tesla this winter, isn't going to be very comfortable, so until Tesla fixes this issue, it looks like I better bundle up!!

I have version 2.7.56 and it has been around 8 degrees Celsius here recently. Like others, since getting v7 I have noticed that what was comfortable around 19 C previously, now needed to be around 22 C to feel the same.

That was until today. When I got in the car this morning I experienced the same behavior as Bozie. I tried turning the heat all the way up and even tried the HI front defrost and just received more cold air. I also tried rebooting with no luck.

I'll be calling service tomorrow morning and will post back here once I find out what is wrong.