Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat / HVAC on 7.0 - poor performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they sort this issue out soon. Living in Canada we will be getting sub zero temperatures soon.

It's weird how it works now. When I get in the car in the morning, I can feel the heat, but the fan speed is quite low. It almost feels like there is a radiant heater under the dash. Then, as I drive, it actually starts getting colder. I can feel the cold in my legs and feet. Usually, turning the fan speed up manually helps, but I do wonder how it's going to be when it starts getting really cold.

I must say I'm concerned that Tesla keeps releasing software with problems and regressions in it. That bespeaks a pretty broken software engineering department.

I wouldn't disagree.

The update (2.7.77) made the heat better, it wasn't terribly cold last night so I'm not sure it is as good as it was, but it was for sure better than the original 7.0.

Also added a time and temp display to the instrument cluster.

The other day, I went into an underground parkade after being in the humid rain, naturally the windows started fogging as we entered so I hit the defrost button. I was expecting the fan to be blowing and clear it right away per usual. Nothing. It was very frustrating and i had to stop and roll all the windows down and go at a careful snails pace. In v6 it used to blast that fog away rather well, now it is less than terrible.

I wouldn't disagree.

The update (2.7.77) made the heat better, it wasn't terribly cold last night so I'm not sure it is as good as it was, but it was for sure better than the original 7.0.

Also added a time and temp display to the instrument cluster.

Tonight it hit 40s (6C) here, heating in .77 is very much improved, as per expectation to address.

- - - Updated - - -

The other day, I went into an underground parkade after being in the humid rain, naturally the windows started fogging as we entered so I hit the defrost button. I was expecting the fan to be blowing and clear it right away per usual. Nothing. It was very frustrating and i had to stop and roll all the windows down and go at a careful snails pace. In v6 it used to blast that fog away rather well, now it is less than terrible.
humid rain? Yet to meet the dry rain ;-)

seems to blow much better on .77, I have to believe there's going to be a wider OTA version of this go out soon (AP 1.01 included?)

I was having issues with heat (Still am, it works like complete crap now), but, fortunately, being November, we have a heat wave (Should be low 30's, but instead we're Low to High 70's, at least until Friday).

Trying to keep the car at a comfortable temp, I'm either getting Frozen Stiff, or Roasted like a pig on a open fire. The car cant decide what it wants to do. Turn on the AC or Crank the heat to max. Given that Wisconsin's summer temps are just a tad higher (Mid 70's average), I have plenty of experience in this temp range and this car. This is not normal.

I was having issues with heat (Still am, it works like complete crap now), but, fortunately, being November, we have a heat wave (Should be low 30's, but instead we're Low to High 70's, at least until Friday).

Trying to keep the car at a comfortable temp, I'm either getting Frozen Stiff, or Roasted like a pig on a open fire. The car cant decide what it wants to do. Turn on the AC or Crank the heat to max. Given that Wisconsin's summer temps are just a tad higher (Mid 70's average), I have plenty of experience in this temp range and this car. This is not normal.

Might be worth a call, then trip, to SC. 2.7.77 definitely is a lot better than before and the havoc algorithm is one of the fixes.

Cars going in for Drive unit 4, Door handles and water intrusion again Friday. I'll have them look at it then. Good to know. They will update firmware to latest with the Drive Unit install anyways. Looking forward to it.

Are you at least receiving the latest drive unit brand new from the factory? Given the issues you've had, I would hope that Tesla is giving you the latest and greatest DU that Elon bragged about in yesterday's earnings call.

Did you hit it twice so it turned red (instead of blue)?

Since it's been so hot in CA lately, I was satisfied by the A/C performance but never got to try the heater. Now that temps have been falling, I went out to grab a hot cup of coffee tonight and tried out the heater in my car. Don't know whether it's just confirmation bias, but the heater is definitely not as warm as I remember. Car indicated it was blowing heat from below by the legs, but I couldn't feel a thing until I put my hand under my dash by the vent. Had to crank up the temp to 75 and turn on the seat heaters to 3 to get warm. Even after my 10 minute drive and leaving the heater on via mobile app while I was inside, it never really got nice and toasty even at 75 degrees (55 degrees outside).

But I still got that nice/nostalgic heater smell in my car, makes me feel really cozy.

Not discounting anybody's experience in this thread, but please keep in mind that v7.0 temperature selection is more accurate of "real" temps than v6.2's. Case in point, I keep my car (6.2) on 68 and the loaner I drove yesterday was on 68 (7.0). I was a little chilly at first and didn't think much of it. As I drove in the 50s and began to freeze, I recalled the temperature change and set it to 71 (what I used on my ICE). It was acceptable to me there. That said, I only had the car for one day and didn't experience much in the way of different temperatures, so that does not mean that heating isn't less effective in v7 -- I'm just saying that heating from v6.2 X temp would be greater than x7.0 X temp and you should compare it against X + 2 or X + 3.

Checked mine also, on 7.0 (2.7.56) it still does the blue first then red.

Still turns red on .77 too

- - - Updated - - -

Not discounting anybody's experience in this thread, but please keep in mind that v7.0 temperature selection is more accurate of "real" temps than v6.2's. Case in point, I keep my car (6.2) on 68 and the loaner I drove yesterday was on 68 (7.0). I was a little chilly at first and didn't think much of it. As I drove in the 50s and began to freeze, I recalled the temperature change and set it to 71 (what I used on my ICE). It was acceptable to me there. That said, I only had the car for one day and didn't experience much in the way of different temperatures, so that does not mean that heating isn't less effective in v7 -- I'm just saying that heating from v6.2 X temp would be greater than x7.0 X temp and you should compare it against X + 2 or X + 3.

My addled brain remembers a number of threads where we were all saying the internal temp of the car was always higher (via app, or independently), than set. This was both for AC (when hot outside) and heat (when cold outside). Is this the same thing, i.e. Start trusting the number more?

Doesn't explain the higher energy use. I also noticed higher use when warming, though the net average on 20mile daily route was about the same (not using shoreline)