Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat pump acoustic cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped of my MY for a ac acoustic retrofit along with the rear seats not folding down automatically. SC advisor said it’s not a guarantee they will install the acoustic cover, they have to check the “noise level” first and determine if it “meets the criteria”. Anyone else had this issue/comment made to them? Before my appt I received an email saying they ordered my part too.

i said "my friend just got a MY and it came with the acoustic cover, so i want one as well - many folks have been getting a retrofit so please give me the same level of service"

Reactions: Klau2
i said "my friend just got a MY and it came with the acoustic cover, so i want one as well - many folks have been getting a retrofit so please give me the same level of service"
Can you reliably tell the difference between having the cover or not? I have an early build and don’t have the cover, and while I hear a variety of noises in the car (e.g., back seat rubbing, wind noise at highway speeds) that I’m trying to get addressed, I’m not sure if I hear anything from the heat pump.

I agree. No one checks the newer builds for sound levels... y should early builds not get the same part? All I know, I’m going to be pissed if they don’t install.... when it was close to 100 degrees the other day, that heat pump was louder than ever... even my wife mentioned something to me saying “why is ur car so loud today...”

Can you reliably tell the difference between having the cover or not? I have an early build and don’t have the cover, and while I hear a variety of noises in the car (e.g., back seat rubbing, wind noise at highway speeds) that I’m trying to get addressed, I’m not sure if I hear anything from the heat pump.

i think it helps a bit (not by MUCH) i would say - worst case scenario they remove your frunk cover to check if there's a cover; no harm if they ordered you parts b/c they can use it for someone else.

I definitely hear the difference. It was loud before i got the cover. You really notice it when the car is parked inside a garage.

So I got home and checked the new insulation.

Pulled it into the garage so I could hear it at worst case scenario and it made a really big difference imo. My wife even said the same thing. Even turned the fans all the way up and it was considerably quieter, and with the ac at around 72 it was making barely any noise.

It exceeded my expectations for sure. Anyone on the fence just try to get your local SC to do it.

So I got home and checked the new insulation.

Pulled it into the garage so I could hear it at worst case scenario and it made a really big difference imo. My wife even said the same thing. Even turned the fans all the way up and it was considerably quieter, and with the ac at around 72 it was making barely any noise.

It exceeded my expectations for sure. Anyone on the fence just try to get your local SC to do it.

Nice...because the A/C is super loud when its on in my garage. The mobile installer ordered the parts so just waiting on that.

I need to schedule a mobile service to install the Homelink device. Would they also install the acoustic cover at the same time or is that something I have to take to a local Service Center?

Thanks.

I got mine installed this morning by mobile service, it was done in thirty minutes. You can schedule it with your homelink installation. I had it scheduled through the app to install at the Berkeley SC in the beginning of July but they changed it to mobile service for me, said it's better to do mobile as it's an easy installation.

• Informative
Reactions: NaiWiste
I got mine installed this morning by mobile service, it was done in thirty minutes. You can schedule it with your homelink installation. I had it scheduled through the app to install at the Berkeley SC in the beginning of July but they changed it to mobile service for me, said it's better to do mobile as it's an easy installation.

When you scheduled through the app, did you have to provide them the part number for the acoustic cover?

Sandy Munro suggested that it would have been great if Tesla used proper noise insulating housing for the heat pump on the Model Y:
the noise insulating housing of the Model 3 that Sandy Munro is showing appears to be better quality that the exposed foam Model Y noise insulating housing. First off the Model 3 version has an outer plastic shell thus adding an additional layer of sound insulation. Also the yellow expanding foam type used in Model 3 version also appears to be denser and is closed foam as opposed to the open cell foam exposed to the elements. Not to complain that some sound insulation no matter how minor is better than none. Got a feeling a better design is coming in the near future.