Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat pump issues fixed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Use auto climate - that's what it's for. Just like a house, you set the temp you want and don't have to fiddle with anything. It will save energy and only ramp the heat pump/fan up or down as fast as necessary to maintain cabin temp. I never touched the fan speed on my M3 in 3 years of ownership.
What I do works perfectly, I gave advice on how it works well and what not to do. I have tried Auto many times and I am not as comfortable running it on manual.

Wow! I just read the replacement procedure for those A/C sensors. I'm blown away by how good they are. If all directions were this good anybody could work on their car. Can we get Tesla to create service manuals for Audi? 🤣
This is my favorite step:

13. If parts are available, install new washers on the Supermanifold-to-compressor A/C line.

so, if parts not available, just put the old *sugar* back on? 😂

• Funny
Reactions: RNHurt
Unfortunately this happens in warm weather as well. See below my experience.
Dec 28, 2021
Picked up my 2022 M3 LR on 12/28. had 4 miles on the odometer. Outside temp at pickup was 32 F. Drove about 15 minutes and realized that the heat wasn't working. Turned around and got back to Tesla. Told them I wasn't making the 435 mile drive home with no heat. They were super apologetic and nice and fixed the issue.
Jan 05, 2022
Car was in for Ceramic coat. The detailer calls me and says that some green liquid has leaked under the car. I called Tesla and was able to get an appointment the very next day. They ended up replacing the Super Manifold. they actually fixed it while my wife waited. They even got her an uber to Enterprise rental and told her to pick out any car for the 2-3 hour wait. So she could finish her errands.
Jan 29, 2022
Outside temp 63 F. We drover 50+ miles to do some shopping. Stopped at a Supercharger since I had free referral miles. We were directly in the sun and so we turned the AC on. It made a weird whining noise and so I turned it off. After a few minutes, I turn it back on and we get the message "Cabin Climate Control System requires Service" VCFRONT_a447!!!!! No AC, no heat. The weather was nice so it didn't bother us. My appointment is on Feb 8th.

Since the heat was fixed once and Super manifold has been replaced, What would be wrong now? I am on 2021.44.30.7 since 01/14/2022.

Has anyone tried preconditioning the car prior to departure? I tried it yesterday. The outside temp was 65 F. I set the car to 80 F. About 10 minutes later, I get the notification saying "Your car has reached the desired cabin temperature". I checked the app and sure enough it shows interior temp as 83 F and outside temp at 73 F.
It clearly wasn't App Temp Display.jpg 83 F and it was blowing cold air. This thing is broken.
App Temp Display.jpg

Now hopefully the NHTSA will do their jobs as well. This is absolutely ridiculous, it is as if they never bothered to actually test in cold weather.

As someone who has a 90 minute round trip drive, and a 50-60 minute drive to the service center, this is not fun. Today I get a 90 minute round trip in -2F temperatures. I hope and pray I will not need to go in further until my appointment, nevertheless I know I will need to drive. Certainly canceled outing I had this weekend with family member.

And now I am absolutely dreading the drive into the office today, just to do something I could have done last time I was there. But stupid me thought I had a reliable car and could just return the following day.

BTW when first entering the car I can very clearly hear the clunking from what I assume is the heat pump....clunk clunk...whirr of the fan...clunk and in comes the freezing cold from the vents. *#&@ Tesla

Oddly enough they do have cold weather testing in Alaska however I guess the problem did not arise. Personally I have not had an issue. No clue how many are affected but would guess it is a small, rightfully vocal minority. Alaska Cold Testing Facility
My guess:
1. They conducted the cold weather testing on the coldest days, when it wasn't snowing, and the louvers and radiator were least likely to ice up.
2. There were no other vehicles on the track kicking up snow and ice, also making ice accumulation on the louvers and radiator much less likely.
3. The vehicles they tested were properly charged with refrigerant, not overcharged or undercharged.

Now hopefully the NHTSA will do their jobs as well. This is absolutely ridiculous, it is as if they never bothered to actually test in cold weather.

As someone who has a 90 minute round trip drive, and a 50-60 minute drive to the service center, this is not fun. Today I get a 90 minute round trip in -2F temperatures. I hope and pray I will not need to go in further until my appointment, nevertheless I know I will need to drive. Certainly canceled outing I had this weekend with family member.

And now I am absolutely dreading the drive into the office today, just to do something I could have done last time I was there. But stupid me thought I had a reliable car and could just return the following day.

BTW when first entering the car I can very clearly hear the clunking from what I assume is the heat pump....clunk clunk...whirr of the fan...clunk and in comes the freezing cold from the vents. *#&@ Tesla

I read an article somewhere about an individual that left Tesla, manager or above, possibly a VP on the product side. Said while other manufacturers test prototype vehicles for a million miles, Musk did not believe in that and Tesla's was dreadfully shorter, because the view was they were a tech company and therefore most issues could be fixed with OTA updates. Will see if I can find it as it was quite interesting. Could be a disgruntled departure I guess.

Cold climate is one area you just can't cut down testing of given the so many different variables.

Putting aside the risk of frost bite from driving in that weather, the biggest risk is not being able to defog and/or ice forming on your windshield. I sure hope they force them to fix it before I get my Y in time for next winter.

Reactions: DrGriz
I read an article somewhere about an individual that left Tesla, manager or above, possibly a VP on the product side. Said while other manufacturers test prototype vehicles for a million miles, Musk did not believe in that and Tesla's was dreadfully shorter, because the view was they were a tech company and therefore most issues could be fixed with OTA updates. Will see if I can find it as it was quite interesting. Could be a disgruntled departure I guess.

Cold climate is one area you just can't cut down testing of given the so many different variables.

Putting aside the risk of frost bite from driving in that weather, the biggest risk is not being able to defog and/or ice forming on your windshield. I sure hope they force them to fix it before I get my Y in time for next winter.
A heated windshield would be more than welcome on any car in extreme winter temps. Not just the wiper rest area, the entire windshield. My daughter drives a Volvo XC40, has a heated windshield which works extremely well. Volvo Heated Windshield