Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat pump noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Anyone else experiencing this horrible rattling noise when starting heat pump in cold? Lasts between 2-10sec, so loud that covers talking in cabin. I get this eapecially at below 0 C, not every time but maybe every other day.

Tesla dealer chalked it up to ice buildup on the fan due to condensation. To me in makes sense. The car was sitting outside on delivery day for a while and it was snowy/icy. I've been parking inside the garage since and haven't heard it again.

Reactions: rpiotro
2021 sr+ model 3.
Noticed when car is cold and it’s cold outside. I sit in car turn on maximum heat or defrost.
Deep vibration felt in car and loud noise. Last 2-5 seconds. Vibratikn is felt in the steering wheel and center console but whole car feels it.
Heat works fine. If car is warmed up no issues at all.
Happened today. Parked outside for 1.5 hour in 4 degree temp.
Any help?

My car was in SC due to this, and I was told ice buildup caused it. But that makes no sense as noise remains even after several days above zero and melting in garage...
A friend that repairs heat pumps told that sometimes hvac liquid floodback causes such noise. And a floodback might destroy compressor in future...
I have yet another service booked, where some senior mechanic will check the situation.

My car was in SC due to this, and I was told ice buildup caused it. But that makes no sense as noise remains even after several days above zero and melting in garage...
A friend that repairs heat pumps told that sometimes hvac liquid floodback causes such noise. And a floodback might destroy compressor in future...
I have yet another service booked, where some senior mechanic will check the situation.
Insane. I have a tech coming in a month. I’ll update u what he says, please let me know as well.

I have been experiencing this the last few weeks as well, only really happens when it’s very cold but it definitely sounds concerning and now I may just schedule an appointment as well. If it helps I’m in Michigan where it’s been between 5-20 degrees the last few weeks.

Same noise here, but only once or twice despite the constant wicked-cold in Michigan lately. I used to engineer HVAC systems for cars and understand that a poorly designed system can lead to oil starvation that can cause the compressor to make this kind of noise (NOT GOOD!), but honestly, it actually sounded more like a fan that was barely scraping on something. It slowly ramped down in speed as the system was shutting down (I was standing outside the car and surprised at the strange noise).

If it was the actual compressor making that noise due to lack of lubrication, I predict they'd all fail catastrophically within a single winter season (so on the bright side, they'll all fail within warranty)!

Reactions: rpiotro
Same noise here, but only once or twice despite the constant wicked-cold in Michigan lately. I used to engineer HVAC systems for cars and understand that a poorly designed system can lead to oil starvation that can cause the compressor to make this kind of noise (NOT GOOD!), but honestly, it actually sounded more like a fan that was barely scraping on something. It slowly ramped down in speed as the system was shutting down (I was standing outside the car and surprised at the strange noise).

If it was the actual compressor making that noise due to lack of lubrication, I predict they'd all fail catastrophically within a single winter season (so on the bright side, they'll all fail within warranty)!

A question, I assume Tesla gets the compressor from a outside vendor, if there is a defect that causes failure of the compressor, does Tesla eat the recall or does the outside company pay for the recall or some portion?

A question, I assume Tesla gets the compressor from a outside vendor, if there is a defect that causes failure of the compressor, does Tesla eat the recall or does the outside company pay for the recall or some portion?

In cases of widespread failures, it's the Tier 1 supplier that eats the majority of the costs.
Denso makes the e-compressor in our cars. They make the very best compressors in the world (quality, performance, and noise levels). If there are widespread failures, it'll be because Tesla screwed up the system design/control of it.

• Informative
Reactions: Avid
I experienced the luke warm situation a few weeks back on a 15F morning (it refused to make much heat regardless of set temp). I parked the car, played around with activating defrost mode via the app, etc.... then restarted and drove away and it worked fine again. The heat pump was also very tame/quiet during the no heat condition and was much louder when working properly. Since Spring is almost here, I'll probably get lazy and not remember to take it to the SC until next winter.

As far as the fan thumping noise, that's only reoccurred once and it was much more minor.