Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat pump

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having issues with the 2021 with heat pump ? I preconditioned the car and left for a drive, battery was warm and lots of regen, after about 30 miles I got a reduced regen warning and almost no regen at all, having come from a 2020 model 3 I’m not used to the battery cooling down so much while driving, I would have thought it would at least keep warm enough to get regen and therefore efficiency.

• Informative
Reactions: Stach
Bjorn Nyland on YouTube has a 2021 Model 3 and has (obsessively) experimented with the heat pump and how it works. His theory is that the heat pump does use battery heat to heat the cabin, which means the battery temp is generally quite low.

I would have thought the savings on battery consumption would offset the need to regen so much though.

Reactions: ringi
Bjorn Nyland on YouTube has a 2021 Model 3 and has (obsessively) experimented with the heat pump and how it works. His theory is that the heat pump does use battery heat to heat the cabin, which means the battery temp is generally quite low.

I would have thought the savings on battery consumption would offset the need to regen so much though.
I know it uses the heat in the battery but I thought it would at least keep the battery at optimum temperature.

Reactions: Stach
I know it uses the heat in the battery but I thought it would at least keep the battery at optimum temperature.
There was someone else saying something similar about regen going down after setting off, which as you say, is not a thing in a 2020 car.
Either some fine tuning of the software is required or Tesla have deemed this a price worth paying for max efficiency. I guess time will tell. Does sound annoying though

There is a great video series on YouTube about how the Model Y heat pump works. It has over a dozen different modes, including one that scavenges heat from the battery pack to provide more efficient heating of the cabin.

part 1:

part 2:

part 3:

I presume the heat pump just does its pumping of heat.. or not ... the really clever stuff that will be under software control is the mysterious Octovalve that determines where the heat is being sucked from and where that heat is delivered to ... plenty of scope for tweaking there.

Reactions: ringi