Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat Pump

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help! Hello fellow owners: I own a 2019 M3 SR+ with a resistive heater. Even in the coldest days, the cabin is warm and cozy. However I am contemplating ordering a 2022 M3 LR which is equipped with a heat pump. In light of the current discussions around heat pump failures in cold weather in Toronto and area, if anyone has heat pump vehicles (3 & Y), I’d love to hear your experiences (good and bad) when a cold snap takes us to -25C. I’m in a real conundrum: should I buy? Wait?

Thank you!

If I lived in extreme climates I’d wait.

It’s cold where I live (New England) and the heat pump works fine and is efficient (we’ve had two teslas with a heat pump).
Thank you, Two-rocks. I appreciate your experiences. If you would indulge me further, what are the lowest temperatures you’d experience in your location? Fahrenheit fine. I’ll Canadianize to Celsius. Cheers!

I’ve had pressure and temperature sensors replaced twice proactively. Tesla replaced them when the car was in for tires. Even after this the heat pump failed last week. Temps were about -20C so nothing crazy. Tesla still doesn’t have this completely figured out but I hope they do before the warranty expires.

Thank you, Two-rocks. I appreciate your experiences. If you would indulge me further, what are the lowest temperatures you’d experience in your location? Fahrenheit fine. I’ll Canadianize to Celsius. Cheers!
We are going on a 300 mile drive this Saturday, temperatures should finish the drive in the single digit Fahrenheit. Today we were fine in 20F. Not as cold as some parts.