TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Heat Sink Question

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Pantera Dude, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Can someone tell me what the heat sink under the hood (bonnet) is cooling? I was stumped again by a curious admirer. :biggrin:

2. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

Power inverter that takes high voltage down to usable 12v for small battery and accessories, lights, dash, ect...

Scrap that battery comment... Your an early car... No 12v battery

3. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Thanks!
    So how do they keep the battery charged on the later cars? Do they still use the inverter or is it replaced by an alternator? And why the change, there must have been a problem with the original system or maybe it was less expensive to eliminate the inverter? Enquiring Minds...

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

The later cars still have an inverter and you need it to charge the 12V battery. If you do not have a 12V battery then you need it to run the lights, radio and other accessories.

5. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

No, actually they added a motorcycle battery for power backup of the 12v systems. The rest of the system is similar although a bit less robust in my opinion...

More details available if you want to email me using my user name @aol.com