Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated forward facing camera housing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe, I am behind the times but I was not aware that the forward facing camera was heated. Pretty cool!

C2000D8B-B8E2-4FAF-B903-A126CEA37D5D.jpeg

I don't think the B pillars are heated even when driving. I have got the warning about limited Autopilot because they froze over while driving. I cleared them off and was good to go.

I don't think it's heated.

The area with the cameras is all black, has an enclosed airspace, and is topped with glass. It's basically a tiny greenhouse.

It probably just stays warmer than the rest of the windshield while the sun is out.

I would have to disagree, it’s definitely heated. I saw this too after a night of snow in the early AM while still dark and temps in the teens so no way it isn’t heated.

Reactions: Big Earl and bd7349
I don't think it's heated.

The area with the cameras is all black, has an enclosed airspace, and is topped with glass. It's basically a tiny greenhouse.

It probably just stays warmer than the rest of the windshield while the sun is out.

It’s definitely heated. You can see from the picture that the sun was not out. Also it created ice on the windshield around the housing which was kind of annoying cause the window wipers would rub on it which may lessen the life of the wipers.

Definitely has a heater. If you look closely at the windshield glass over the camera box you can see the heat element lines. Similar to the ones in back window. Using a flashlight helps you see the lines better.

I thought it came on with the Defrost or Rear Defrost. But now I am not sure.