Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated Garage and battery pre-heating in Cold North US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I have seen some posts about battery heating taking a bit of power and limiting breaking regen for a little. I have a heated garage I keep in the around 40 degree F. Does that eliminate the need to preheat the battery in the AM?

IIRC at 40 F you will get some regen, but not full regen power. No problem driving the car, so you will not need to preheat. However, you might want to preheat for a more comfortable cabin temperature.

GSP

Thanks! I was definitely planning on heating the cabin up a little and I got the heated seats and steering wheel package those take less energy. What temp does the battery like before full regen?
My sense is that the battery needs to be above 50ºF to have full regen, but I don't have any way to measure that. However, it likely doesn't matter since even at 40º F you will have some regen and the battery will warm up as you drive. I think that you will find that the limited regen isn't a big deal in the flatlands, such as Wisconsin.

If you do want some more regen, arranging to charge the car just before you leave, rather than as soon as you plug-in, will heat the battery somewhat. I charge at 32 A and a couple of hours of that just before I leave my cold garage (low 30s this time of the year) increases my regen significantly. But I think that you will find that it just isn't a big deal to have limited regen for the first few miles. Even 15 kW of regen will slow you quite a bit when backing off the go pedal.

My 2¢.