Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated rear screen failed? (Model 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveW

May 21, 2019
Beds, UK
Anyone had this?

I thought yesterday when I was pre-heating it was odd the rear screen didn't clear, thought maybe the ice was too thick for the time I'd tried, but it still hadn't cleared on the drive I had to do.

Tried again this morning and nothing, no steam coming off it like you usually see.

Service appointment booked, first one with a car is March 10th, but I'm only doing the school run and back, so it's not the biggest problem.

Not had this issue but do have a few thoughts...

If you open up the heating controls are there any error messages displayed? Along the lines of 'climate keeper not available'?

Also, can you see any breaks in the heating element on the rear window?

In other cars I've had, the rear heated screen would be the first thing to disable if the 12v battery was running low.

Last edited:
Not had this issue but do have a few thoughts?

If you open up the heating controls are there any error messages displayed? Along the lines of 'climate keeper not available'?

Also, can you see any breaks in the heating element on the rear window?

In other cars I've had, the rear heated screen would be the first thing to disable if the 12v battery was running low.

Thanks @Medved_77

No issue when pressing the icon on the screen, lights up as usual. I'll open the heating display in the car. No errors when turning on climate in the app either.

I'll check for breakages, but unless it's burnt out or something bit strange that it's stopped working - I'll report back :)

Guessing Tesla will be scanning the car for errors too.

During our first light snowfall I put the car on full cabin precondition, just as a test. I was surprised that rear window didn't clear as I would have expected and wondered if there was a fault - we had rear window replaced 6 months ago although had seen it demist since replacement.

I tried another day, similar circumstances, it cleared fine.

I hadn't had an opportunity to pay any more attention to it.

How old is the car?

There was a batch problem with some cars delivered in August 2019 where a defect in the glass caused a break around the element. First sign was the heater stopped working, second was seeing a bit of visual distortion where the verticals on the drivers side meet the horizontals, after than a crack grows all the the way across.

Mine went in about this time last year for a full warranty repair, there were a bunch of others. I think it was only cars delivered from that boat.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
How old is the car?

There was a batch problem with some cars delivered in August 2019 where a defect in the glass caused a break around the element. First sign was the heater stopped working, second was seeing a bit of visual distortion where the verticals on the drivers side meet the horizontals, after than a crack grows all the the way across.

Mine went in about this time last year for a full warranty repair, there were a bunch of others. I think it was only cars delivered from that boat.

Mine is an August 2019 car - I'll have to see if there's any cracks/splits in the light tomorrow, thanks.