TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Heated seat elements showing through on white seats.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by RecognitionD, Jan 6, 2020.

1. RecognitionD

RecognitionD Member

I noticed these faint lines on my white drivers seat recently but just put it down to some colour transfer but on closer inspection it looks to be the heated seat elements showing through. The marks don’t go away with cleaning and I don’t want to try anything too abrasive until Tesla have had a look (I have a service appointment in a week).
    I found a video on YouTube from Bjorn Nyland which confirms the pattern is the seat heater. Has anyone else experienced this?
    4B6F65CA-2D67-4975-B598-352048D4BF88.jpeg F924914A-68D6-40F5-9039-C6712E544C7A.jpeg 84F596C8-C11F-45DB-9A81-BBB605741D41.jpg

• Informative x 1
  2. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Member

Weird, what kind of jacket / coat are you wearing when using those heaters? Do you have the seats treated or protected?

I wouldn't put it down to the "elements showing through" I'd put it down more to that they got hot enough to dye transfer off of what you were wearing. Still shouldn't happen either way and hopefully Tesla doesn't make a stink about taking care of it.

3. RecognitionD

RecognitionD Member

Thanks for the reply,

I honestly can’t remember what jacket coat I was wearing or my wife as I can’t pinpoint exactly when it happened, just noticed it one day and seems to be getting gradually worse. I’ve treated the seats with Gyeon Leathershield prior to the marks appearing. If it is marks on the material then I’ll just have to clean it off with something a bit more aggressive. But I want Tesla to take a look first as the passenger seat is totally fine.

4. SoManyM3s

SoManyM3s Member

This is color transfer. Should be able get this off of the seats with some products

• Like x 1
  5. TLLMRRJ

TLLMRRJ Active Member

That's scary. I guess I will make sure not to use the seat heater on high. They do get pretty hot on the high setting.

6. RecognitionD

RecognitionD Member

I’m starting to agree that it’s colour transfer, it just strikes me as strange that it is so defined and follows the heating elements, I thought it would be more blurred but I guess the heat exaggerated the colour transfer. Im seeing Tesla on Monday for some other issues so will see what they recommend to clean it.
    Thanks all for your input :)

7. Cogarch

Cogarch Member

I sometimes wonder what the long-term effect of heating elements might be on what are essentially plastic seats..

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. outdoors

outdoors Always roaming

Question. Does anyone know if the heated seat heating element design changed from 1st gen seats to 2nd. I have black seats and am trying to see if the layout is the same on the bottom portion. I have a similar issue, but with black seats.

9. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

I’m wondering if it’s from the residual from the Gyeon Leathershield left on the seat material getting heated. Think Tesla only recommends water damp cloth. I have black seats and only use damp cloth so may never notice something like that.

The seat material is not a leather so some leather products could damage it. Recall some thread about that on here somewhere.

10. Bill Foster

Bill Foster I'm going home!

I’d be really interested to hear what Tesla says about this

11. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

Probably is just color transfer. That the transfer is in the impression of the heating element just means the hearing element stands out when pressure is applied. Rather than, say, leaving the impression of 2 buttcheeks :)

As for leather care products, most "real" products are primarily natural oils as their main function is conditioning/nourishment, so it should not harm vinyls and plastics

12. outdoors

outdoors Always roaming

I don't use anything but a damp sponge then dry with microfiber. Not clean in picture, as middle of winter.
    was told it was cosmetic and that they would steam it out.
    IMG_20200206_092008.jpg

13. RecognitionD

RecognitionD Member

Tesla said it was colour transfer from damp clothing and having the heated seats on.
    I can’t really argue as I can’t pin point when exactly it first happened. Just have to be a bit more aware of wet coats and not putting the heated seats on.

• Like x 1
  14. Seth2020

Seth2020 Member

mine too!
    upload_2020-12-26_15-31-8.png