TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Heated Seats last exactly 20 mins. . .

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by JohnnyLounge21, Feb 27, 2018.

1. JohnnyLounge21

My heated seats run great for about 20 mins and then they fizzle out. I tried to see if anyone else has observed this exact problem and I couldn't seem to find it. . .

I want my seat to run and run hard until I tell it not to. . . Instead, it heats for exactly 20 mins and then starts ratcheting down (to almost no heat at all).

Is there a simple solution for this that you guys may have found?

RW

2. Krash

Krash Data Technician

A trip to the service center unfortunately. Mine run for hours. Incidentally, what happens if you turn them off and back on? Do they come back on?

3. Max*

Max* Charging

Mine run indefinitely also.

BUT I have noticed that it's not a continuous ON. It cycles ON and OFF, I'm guessing to try to maintain a certain preset temperature range. Are you sure this isn't what you're seeing?

Unlike the steering wheel, which if I turn it on, it's consistently on until it starts to burn my hands and I turn it off.

4. scottm

scottm Active Member

Maybe it takes 20 mins to hard boil your butt, at which time it stops feeling the heat?

• Funny x 1
  5. jlewisthe3rd

jlewisthe3rd Member

Which seats do you have? Based on your signature you have a 75D, so that means you have either Gen 3 (Next Gen) or Gen 4 (Tesla Premium)
    You very well may need to take a trip to the service center but before you do consider this:
    • You yourself may be experiencing Thermal Equilibrium from the heated seats and it just FEELs like they stopped working.
    • The seats may measure how hot the seat is and regulate the temperature accordingly.
    • Depending on the seat version, I've heard that Gen 3 seats are not as effective heating as Gen 4 or Gen 2.

• Informative x 1
  6. SucreTease

SucreTease Teslarian

7. JohnnyLounge21

Thanks so much for everyone's thoughts.

In all seriousness, there is zero doubt that it just turns off after 20 mins exactly. And it gets pretty cold. . . I wish it would keep cooking away, honestly! Then I could temp it down to level 1-2 and see how that worked for me. At present, I just stops working (and says it's still at level 3).

I got the car right at the beginning of 2017. They also have the ventilated seats option (which I love) so I think that makes them of that unicorn variety were only a few of us got those seats. Gen 3 maybe?

I just took the car in for it's annual and forgot to ask them about it! ARGH! I'll try any of the notations here and see how I do along with checking the heated seats cycling link above.

8. Electroman

Electroman Active Member

I have seen Leaf do the same thing. Switching the seat heater off and on, gets it going again. Same thing with the heated steering too.