Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated seats standard with price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kendallpb

Model S: P 8061
Oct 29, 2010
MD, USA
GeorgeB wrote at Tesla's blog: "After the price change, all vehicles will include 12-way adjustable, heated front seats as standard equipment at no charge."

I didn't want leather seats, but did want heated seats, and I finalized a couple of weeks ago. I take the above to mean that although I saved $1500 (and also didn't get something I didn't want--leather seats), I'm kinda out in the cold, so to speak. ;-) Not a big deal--I'd already accepted that I wouldn't have heated seats. But I'm a bit bummed, since they're going to be standard if you reserve under the new pricing in a month, that he didn't mention an option to get this now (hopefully for less than $1500).

I posted a reply to GB's blog post; it didn't show up, but the way they're answering questions now, maybe the answer will show up on the bulletin board at some point.

Heated seats are standard, but the car costs $2500 more. You might be able to pay the extra $2500 and get the heated seats if you want. Just because heated seats are now standard on a more expensive car, I don't see why you would expect to be able to get them without paying the price increase.

I can see some cost savings in this change - they no longer need to stock two versions of the underlying seat mechanism.

It's too bad they didn't (as far as I can tell) change their policy on the seat memory. I feel it really belongs with the tech package and not leather coverings.

Has anyone taken delivery with the textile/cloth interior yet? Maybe we can be hopeful that Tesla never ordered the original seats (Canadian cars have been known to be the 12way heated all along), and this silent upgrade will happen for existing reservations?

It is something I asked for before finalizing my order that I would pay for, but probably not something that I would be wasteful enough to have the seats thrown out immediately and replaced..

Heated seats are standard, but the car costs $2500 more. You might be able to pay the extra $2500 and get the heated seats if you want. Just because heated seats are now standard on a more expensive car, I don't see why you would expect to be able to get them without paying the price increase.

I wrote "an option"; I guess that was unclear. I wouldn't expect it free. Since it's only $1500 now, and obviously the $2500 isn't paying for heated seats (otherwise it's not an effective price increase), ifthey add an option, I'd expect it to be less. I don't really expect an option, but I don't feel it's unreasonable to hope and ask (as I've done).

People have surely speculated about more outlandish things here than the possibility of a heated seat option for pre-price-increase customers.... ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

It's too bad they didn't (as far as I can tell) change their policy on the seat memory. I feel it really belongs with the tech package and not leather coverings.

Or both! Yeah, that is an odd one IMHO. Maybe the'll change that at some point.

Based on George's statement of:
"After the price change, all vehicles will include 12-way adjustable, heated front seats as standard equipment at no charge."

Does this imply that all Model S to be delivered in 2013 will have this feature? Or is it only applicable for people who are paying for the $2500 increase? I'm expecting my delivery in Jan 2013 so just wondering if this will come as an added bonus?
:smile:

Yes, they actually telegraphed this change in that all Canadian cars already have the heated seats (and a slightly higher price). Of course it also makes big climatic sense up here.

My understanding is that the higher Canadian pricing was due to the import duties with a small amount attributed to currency hedging. Canadian cars already had the heated seats (no extra cost for leather) and since the price increase is similar between the US and Canada, US customers are actually getting a better deal (i.e. the heated seats that weren't already standard).

BTW to close out my original wondering, I got the "delivery in December" e-mail and did my delivery info last night, and nothing about this possibility came up, so I think that's that. (shrug) ;-) It just occurred to me that there are aftermarket solutions, but honestly I don't really care that much and wouldn't want to risk damaging my nice new car with third-party seat alterations anyway!