Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated Steering Wheel - 3 Clicks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It takes three clicks to turn on the heated steering wheel on my Y. I've found that this is enough of a barrier that I tend not to bother - which is a shame.

Ideally it would be one click like the seat heaters. Alternatively though I'd love an option (tied to the driver profile) that does one of:

1) Turns it on when its cold out.
2) Turns it on with the driver seat heating
3) Turns it on when the front defrost.

Ideally for me, it the interior of the car is < 0C (or some cold temp) and I start the car, it should turn on the steering wheel heater until the interior temp reaches the setpoint.

Reactions: jsmay311
It takes three clicks to turn on the heated steering wheel on my Y. I've found that this is enough of a barrier that I tend not to bother - which is a shame.

Ideally it would be one click like the seat heaters. Alternatively though I'd love an option (tied to the driver profile) that does one of:

Ideally for me, it the interior of the car is < 0C (or some cold temp) and I start the car, it should turn on the steering wheel heater until the interior temp reaches the setpoint.

By three clicks, you mean pressing the tapping the climate/fan icon, then tapping the wheel icon, then tapping the climate/fan icon again? You can skip the third step and the climate window will automatically hide itself after about 10 seconds.

Or you can use voice control and say, "turn on heated steering wheel" for a one-click option. I think you can also start it from the app before you get in the car, although that's three clicks too - one for the app, one for Climate, and one for the steering wheel.

I agree, maybe the profile could have some additional options (or better yet, AI that learns my habits and adjusts the car for me). But in the meantime, I'm just happy to have a heated steering wheel as we start entering fall/winter!

By three clicks, you mean pressing the tapping the climate/fan icon, then tapping the wheel icon, then tapping the climate/fan icon again? You can skip the third step and the climate window will automatically hide itself after about 10 seconds.
Tapping the climate icon then tapping the heating tab icon, then tapping the steering wheel. I didn't include closing it.

Mine seems to be staying tied to however I left it during my last drive (i.e. if it's on when I last left the car, it's on again when I start driving the next time). I like that much better than any of the BMWs I've owned with them that required me to turn it on every time I drive.

My, we are definitely into 1st world problems here. I've taken over my wife's Toyota Highlander for much of our biking and dog hauling duties, and it doesn't have a steering wheel heater at all. Definitely missed once you've had it and it's gone.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
S3XY Buttons might be an answer, although I haven't checked if that specific function is listed.

You know, since you can turn on the heated steering from the mobile app, it means there's an API to do it. If someone has reverse-engineered the latest api enhancements, you could write your own app that does that. If your phone is on the charger, you could have an app icon on your phone do exactly that. Once I've said that, I presume you could even automate some of those operations using Tasker. For example, it could start heating when your phone connects to the car'S bluetooth and stop 10 minutes later automatically. You would go from 3 clicks to zero :p

Have you looked at the widgets that are provided with the app now? They seem to show the same quick buttons as in the app, and I know the app now has customizable quick buttons. I cannot try out the steering heating since my car doesn't have it... maybe there's a quick button for that, that you could have on the widget?

S3XY Buttons might be an answer, although I haven't checked if that specific function is listed.

You know, since you can turn on the heated steering from the mobile app, it means there's an API to do it. If someone has reverse-engineered the latest api enhancements, you could write your own app that does that. If your phone is on the charger, you could have an app icon on your phone do exactly that. Once I've said that, I presume you could even automate some of those operations using Tasker. For example, it could start heating when your phone connects to the car'S bluetooth and stop 10 minutes later automatically. You would go from 3 clicks to zero :p

Have you looked at the widgets that are provided with the app now? They seem to show the same quick buttons as in the app, and I know the app now has customizable quick buttons. I cannot try out the steering heating since my car doesn't have it... maybe there's a quick button for that, that you could have on the widget?
There isn't one for the steering wheel. Good thought though.

I almost got a job in Minneapolis once. I was a little sad when they said no ... until a few weeks later I watched the national weather forecast and saw it was going to be something horrendous like minus 27 up there.

I actually called them and thanked them for not taking me!

• Funny
Reactions: UncleCreepy

theres some guy who wired himself an aftermarket heated model 3 steering wheel and because he cant get the heated steering wheel software from tesla he did some shinanigans and wired it to the heated seats. im like "woot this is better than original"