Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated steering wheel aftermarket?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about aftermarket but I do know that a few members managed to successfully add an OEM heated steering wheel to early (late 2014) cold weather package vehicles. It should be noted that some of the wiring was present and other sections were required to be added. On top of that it also required a good relationship with your local service center to get the firmware changed to the version with the heated steering wheel so that you could enable it from the app and the car display. Without this last step you would have to wire in some sort of manual switch that you would have to trigger any time you wanted it turned on and off.

That said, I think that the newer cars had all of the wiring present to add rear heated seats which leads me to believe that it's also present for the heated steering wheel. With those previous cars, it required a new column, buttons and steering wheel with the proper provisions and then you also had to manually splice in power and ground to the harness at the column. It may just be a simple addition at the factory of the heated rear seat piece and the heated steering wheel part numbers. You may have an easier time doing it on a newer car like that, again assuming you know somebody at the service center who would be willing to enable that. This is all speculation though as I have no first-hand experience on the newer cars like you're talking about.

Just know that once you add a heated steering wheel and are successful in getting the software enabled, your screen and app will now show the option of enabling rear seat heaters that don't do anything. I would probably go the extra mile and source one of those lower rear seat parts with the seat heaters if you're going to go that far. The rear seat is a relatively easy thing to swap.

Reactions: haroldo
I recently purchased my 2018 s and have the same question, I was wondering if your friend found a solution to the heated steering wheel? same with rear seats, I called tesla and was told that it could not be retrofitted because the harness needed was not included on my model.

Yes! This is absolutely possible to achieve. I did this to my 2013 model and it is incredible.
You'll need a new SCCM that has heat. This has part number 1057357-00-B.
Then you will need new buttons with the heater ECU and harness, and that is usually harvested from a blown airbag module, but the easiest thing is to just buy the entire module from a crashed car. 2012-2021 Tesla Model S Driver Wheel Airbag OEM Black W/Trim OEM | eBay
Then you obviously need the heated wheel.
Then you wire positive and negative into the SCCM and have the cars config updated. Not sure how this is done on MCU2 so you might have to bribe your local service center or find a shop with the full Toolbox version.

There are also complete kits:

Reactions: Alobalo
Yes! This is absolutely possible to achieve. I did this to my 2013 model and it is incredible.
You'll need a new SCCM that has heat. This has part number 1057357-00-B.
Then you will need new buttons with the heater ECU and harness, and that is usually harvested from a blown airbag module, but the easiest thing is to just buy the entire module from a crashed car. 2012-2021 Tesla Model S Driver Wheel Airbag OEM Black W/Trim OEM | eBay
Then you obviously need the heated wheel.
Then you wire positive and negative into the SCCM and have the cars config updated. Not sure how this is done on MCU2 so you might have to bribe your local service center or find a shop with the full Toolbox version.

There are also complete kits:
There's a few part #'s that work for this. The hey is that the left set of pins needs to be 6 pins rather than 4. I've got one here that's 1057356-00-A that has the 6 pins on the left. I need to post it for sale since the cars I own now all have the heated steering wheel from the factory. I will agree that it is incredible and one of my favorite aspects of the Subzero package after having 2014 cars that had the package but no heated wheel. It's SO nice and hard to describe just how good it is until you get a chance to experience it for yourself.