Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated steering wheel. Am I going to get my hands on one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Geez! If the design studio had only mentioned the heated steering wheel when I placed my P85D order I would have added the cold whether package. I didn’t because the package didn’t make any sense without a heated steering wheel.

I checked the spreadsheet, and if I'm reading it correctly it shows that you just entered production yesterday. It's probably a long shot, but why not contact your DS and ask if you could still add the package? The worst they can do is say no.

Ah, never a dull moment here at club Tesla. My DS just called. His management chain spoke with HQ today and was told that no cars will be built with the heated steering wheel in 2014. He was aware of the 12/8 date that was shared here in this thread, but according to him it's not true.

I really don't know what to think.

Ah, never a dull moment here at club Tesla. My DS just called. His management chain spoke with HQ today and was told that no cars will be built with the heated steering wheel in 2014. He was aware of the 12/8 date that was shared here in this thread, but according to him it's not true.

I think we need some people who have the package ordered who are not yet in production to contact their DSs to find out if they are getting the heated steering wheel or not.

Better yet would be for some people who are not yet in production who are shceduled for December delivery who did not order the package who would want the package --IF-- they could get the heated steering to wheel to contact their DSs to see if they can still order the package, get the heated steering wheel, and get delivery in 2014.

How's that for a plan?

What if... (this is just a what if) the surprise is that not only is it a heated steering wheel but the steering wheel based on the Model X prototype with programmable touch buttons? That would be worth getting excited about!
View attachment 65638

Ugh, no--I love the tactile buttons on the wheel. I especially love that you can operate basic functions without taking your gloves off. I do hope they don't get rid of them in favor of more touch screens.

Maybe it is only hardware right now, ie not software enabled, but when it is enabled only those with the hardware will have it. I'm assuming that any DS would understand this distinction very well but it could be a communication breakdown rather than sleight of hand.

- - - Updated - - -

What if... (this is just a what if) the surprise is that not only is it a heated steering wheel but the steering wheel based on the Model X prototype with programmable touch buttons? That would be worth getting excited about!
What if the surprise is backup guiding lines, the only item left on my perfect car list (I'm ignoring any entertainment system limitations). No doubt that will turn out to be a hardware feature that I just missed. :smile:

Dear Tesla Model S P85D purchaser,

on on behalf of Tesla we wish to apologize for the lack of communication with regards to our latest delays. In compensation, we are pleased to offer you a complimentary upgraded steering wheel that not only features heat but also a special exclusive INSANE button for simple toggling between sport and insane modes. Additionally, we will be providing an access code to unlock the hidden parking lines feature in our awesome backup camera.

Thank you you for being a loyal Tesla customer.

Gerome

(a guy can dream, can't he?)

What did they say about your original question to them, which was about the possibility of retrofitting the heated steering wheel?

Dear Tesla Model S P85D purchaser,

on on behalf of Tesla we wish to apologize for the lack of communication with regards to our latest delays. In compensation, we are pleased to offer you a complimentary upgraded steering wheel that not only features heat but also a special exclusive INSANE button for simple toggling between sport and insane modes. Additionally, we will be providing an access code to unlock the hidden parking lines feature in our awesome backup camera.

Thank you you for being a loyal Tesla customer.

Gerome

(a guy can dream, can't he?)

Weird that he would spell his own name wrong.

What did they say about your original question to them, which was about the possibility of retrofitting the heated steering wheel?

DS says that they are trying to remove the word retrofit from the Tesla vocabulary. With 70k cars on the road with so many variations Tesla doesn't want to be in that business anymore. He did not have any specific knowledge on the possibility of retrofitting the wheel, and was not inclined to pursue it further given the new general position on retrofits. To be very clear, my DS has been very good, in touch with me almost daily as all of this has been sorted out. He gets a 10 for customer service. There is just a limit to what he can do and the information Tesla is sharing internally.

Jerome emailed me back last night (he is clearly still in Australia) in response to my original note. He just wanted to make sure I received the update email. I took that opportunity to raise the heated steering wheel "situation" with him, and I ended the note with the question of the possibility of a retrofit.

Man you would think that Tesla would do everything they could to put any new goodies at least on their "Halo Car," like the seats for example.

I am sure that they are doing everything they can. Sometimes, "everything you can" just isn't enough, especially when dealing with suppliers.

Honestly, these kinds of issues with particular components are not uncommon; you see other companies doing production holds or availability dates all the time for cars that are outfitted in a particular way, when the components aren't coming through as expected from the supplier. The rumor here that Tesla is building some cars with alternate parts that can be swapped later is a bit weird, but I can see the logic behind doing that instead of just putting a production hold on the car, given that this would probably result in a big production slowdown.

That would be great!

Where did this notion of a "surprise" come from? Is it confirmed or just a DS rumor?

Good question. I think it was from a DS. It could be as simple as a Christmas card delivered inside the car. Or a P85D shirt. The more I think about it, that seems far more likely than a new feature, LTE, etc. Yep, I'm going with P85D hat, water bottle, or shirt. Shirts are tough because of sizing. Hat, water bottle, or some other item with a Tesla logo.

I am sure that they are doing everything they can. Sometimes, "everything you can" just isn't enough, especially when dealing with suppliers.

Honestly, these kinds of issues with particular components are not uncommon; you see other companies doing production holds or availability dates all the time for cars that are outfitted in a particular way, when the components aren't coming through as expected from the supplier. The rumor here that Tesla is building some cars with alternate parts that can be swapped later is a bit weird, but I can see the logic behind doing that instead of just putting a production hold on the car, given that this would probably result in a big production slowdown.

... And reduction/delay in the realization of revenue.

Where did this notion of a "surprise" come from? Is it confirmed or just a DS rumor?

Good question. I think it was from a DS. It could be as simple as a Christmas card delivered inside the car. Or a P85D shirt. The more I think about it, that seems far more likely than a new feature, LTE, etc. Yep, I'm going with P85D hat, water bottle, or shirt. Shirts are tough because of sizing. Hat, water bottle, or some other item with a Tesla logo.

The "surprise" idea did come from a DS. You can read about it in the first post in this thread:

Just asked my DS and received this word on my P85D order... "I am 99.9% your car will come with the heated steering wheel ..... Your car is in the correct build week and region to receive it." But there's no build sheet for it. The DS also said "There may be one other surprise as well." for which I'm not going to press my luck with finding out what that means.

That sounds like more than a hat or water bottle to me, but what do I know.

Yup, a Tesla branded item seems more likely.

But now that you've put it in my head, I'm expecting LTE!:biggrin:

The "surprise" idea did come from a DS. You can read about it in the first post in this thread:

That sounds like more than a hat or water bottle to me, but what do I know.

If that DS is correct, it could also mean only the people who are getting the new wheel hardware will also get whatever the second surprise is. Another hardware change as of the same build week. Sigh.