TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Heated steering wheel and seat vs central heating

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Candleflame, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

I'm just wondering how much energy it costs to operate heated seats and heated steering wheel as oposed to the main electric heater of the Model S? Let's say if its 0°C outside or so. :confused:

2. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Seat heaters use almost no energy. The main heater uses lots and lots of energy. I'd say around 6-8kW at full blast. Similar to what it takes to drive a steady 25mph on flat ground, no climate control. Seat heaters don't seem to even move the power meter.

3. RDoc

RDoc S85D

At least around here, the heated seats and especially steering wheel are wonderful! We get a lot of ~40F days and the seats and steering wheel in the morning when I first go out are just perfect.

4. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

So the electrics on board move the power meter up? I thought the Model S shows the consumption of power as "0kw" if the car is not moving, even if you have the heater and music w/subwoofer on full blast?

5. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Yes, everything (as far as I know), including heating and air show up on the power meter, even if the car isn't moving. The car has to be on (press the brake to turn car on) to see the consumption. If I'm in park I can even see the power meter move just turning on the lights. Can run the HVAC or other loads while the car is "off" and you wont see consumption.

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

What I really want is a heated steering wheel retrofit. The seat heaters are great and let me keep the car cooler, but my fingers get numb from the cold. That would be much more efficient than dialing up the heat from the HVAC.

7. OverZealous

OverZealous Member

You can definitely see the HVAC power usage on the dash—I was stopped at a light and noticed the kWh meter "bouncing" a little. Took a while to realize it was the HVAC running (A/C in my case) that caused it. You can turn on and off the climate controls to see the change.

8. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

I'm obviously not too fussed about heated steering wheel and heated seats but I'm more thinking along the lines of range extension.