Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated Steering Wheel? Indicated by Metallic Scroll Wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered a M3LR. My sales guy said there is no heated SW in the 3 or Y. He said "if you want a heated SW it's a $30K upgrade to the S or X". It would be great if he was wrong cuz I live in NE and it's freaking cold. Although gloves are cheap...

It is cold - no question... but that said, I was pleasantly surprised last winter at how warm the Model 3 cabin gets. Not just warm but to-the-touch warm. Unlike my ICE cars where, even if the heat were running at melt-yer-face temperatures, everything else in the car still felt like a block of stone.

Do you have another place where the "they announced it" and the "they" is tesla? This rumor has been around for a while, and I read the teslarati article you linked which still just has greentheonly saying "its in the code".. which could mean its coming, or could mean they forgot to take it out of the code.

That "tesla switzerland rep said...".... you have been a member here since 2012, so likely know better than most to take whatever some line level tesla employee says with a huge grain of salt.

You could be right, but no one knows if there will be a heated steering wheel in a model 3 (possible) or if so, what denotes whether a model has one or not. Still, as a few have mentioned, the ability to pre heat the car makes this not as necessary as some other vehicles so its much ado about nothing to me.

No, no other announcement source, as I mentioned after this. My mistake. All we have are the rumors, the maybe-coincidental change to the steering wheel (scroll wheels), and the observation by greentheonly that the heated steering wheel feature was ADDED to the code (it's not a leftover feature from any other vehicle model).

So there is NOTHING SOLID.

FWIW, in winter, in my Model S, I often use just the heated wheel and my heated seat during the winter, allowing me to forgo cabin heat entirely. I was hoping to have a heated wheel in a new Model Y. I came to the Model 3 forums to get some intel, but this was based on my mistaken impression that the 3 already had it. My bad.

I have no insight either way but what I can say is this ...

The Model 3's heat is so efficient that I really don't miss my heated wheel at all. Had one in both of my prior Caddys and thought it'd be a major issue with the 3... it's not.

When using scheduled charging especially - the cabin warms up so well that all the materials are warm, too. I have a hard time explaining that so bear with me ... but in my prior ICE cars even though the heat was on, I felt all the touch materials in the car were still cold-soaked. I don't get that in my 3; I feel like for whatever reason, the heat's so good and efficient that even the steering wheel, armrests, seats, etc warm up nicely ...

Just saying that even if the heated wheel doesn't materialize, I've found the 3 to be the most comfortable winter car I've ever driven, even without it. Like sitting in my living room!

I thought the same thing. My former cars had heated wheel that I enjoyed. But I didn’t miss it one bit in the Model 3 because instant heat blown on your hands.

However if Model 3 does get a heat pump it may no longer be as instantaneous heat.

I do find my Model X does not have as instantaneous heat as the Model 3 did and so I do appreciate the heated wheel.

Reactions: dashrb