Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated steering wheel - nope

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My UK M3P delivered in June 2021 came with no heated steering wheel until this week. As soon as I upgraded the Tesla app to version 4. The magic button showed up in the app and now I have one. Just couldn’t find the button on the car big screen though.
It was (is) on the same section as the heated seat controls when you’re in the car.

You press on the fan icon, and then on the right you can toggle between which seats are being heated. There should be an icon of a heated steering wheel on there.

So MIC M3SR+’s don’t have the heated steering wheel option but you can upgrade via a £300 upgrade to enable the heated rear seats. The MIC M3LRs all have heated seats front and rear and steering wheel, unless of course for some reason either your app or sw version has either disabled.

And this far it appears that there’s no way to retrofit a heated steering wheel to MIC or Fremont cars. Does that sum it up?

(Another tick in the LR box for this Scottish softy)

Tesla apparently emailed dealers in the EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) region in April saying that an OTA unlock would be coming for qualifying SR+ cars after a certain build date.

I presume this would be done as a purchasable option in the app/website, like the rear heated seats. You buy it, it gets enabled.

Sadly, for reasons unknown, this still hasn’t happened (Tesla time?)

There’s an easy way to find out if you have a heated steering wheel. Pop off the airbag (you don’t have to disconnect it, so no danger) and look for a blue connector at the bottom. If you have it, you have the required hardware.

FC94E773-B0A1-4444-8971-9534FF4D5E1F.jpeg