Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated Steering Wheel - Normal?

rorrim

Mar 23, 2020
Boston
Hey, quick one. I have heated steering wheel in my Model Y. When I first start up car and turn on the heated steering wheel, it gets nice and toasty very quickly. However, after a few minutes it seems to turn off and steering wheel temp goes back to normal like it’s not on. Then a few mins later, will feel some warm sections but overall, nothing like it was when first turned on. Is this normal? Could it be overheating initially and turning off?

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Hey, quick one. I have heated steering wheel in my Model Y. When I first start up car and turn on the heated steering wheel, it gets nice and toasty very quickly. However, after a few minutes it seems to turn off and steering wheel temp goes back to normal like it’s not on. Then a few mins later, will feel some warm sections but overall, nothing like it was when first turned on. Is this normal? Could it be overheating initially and turning off?
I think it initially gets hot and then the thermostat kicks in and you are feeling the segments come on and off to maintain a lower temp. I just test drove a Y yesterday and it had the steering wheel heat on. It was almost too hot in about a mile and then dropped back to just warm. This was a new nice experience for me since I have never owned a car with a heated steering wheel.

rorrim

Mar 23, 2020
Boston
I think it initially gets hot and then the thermostat kicks in and you are feeling the segments come on and off to maintain a lower temp. I just test drove a Y yesterday and it had the steering wheel heat on. It was almost too hot in about a mile and then dropped back to just warm. This was a new nice experience for me since I have never owned a car with a heated steering wheel.
Okay, thanks. I guess it’s normal. Just wanted to make sure. I appreciate your feedback.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland ModelX S603
Okay, thanks. I guess it’s normal. Just wanted to make sure. I appreciate your feedback.
I think the steering wheel and things like the heated seats at various settings are on 'duty cycles'.

duty_cycle_large.jpg

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC