Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated Steering Wheel - Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have the answer to this question. When the heated steering wheel became available on Model X & S, it was constantly on and ruined the vegan leather wrapped around them. Because vegan leather is mostly plastic, the heat caused it to become brittle and crack. The problem only consistently occurred on heated steering wheels. So, Tesla engineers decided the best way to remedy this was to have the steering wheel heat up and remain on a low setting not to dry out the plastic.

I also have a Rav4 with heated steering wheel. When you turn it on it gets hot and stays hot to the point that you can smell the steering wheel. You need to turn it off manually because it gets too hot for your hands. And it only heats from the 8 o'clock to 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock to 4 o'clock position. I like the Model Y steering wheel heat much better, the way it is controlled!

I also have a Rav4 with heated steering wheel. When you turn it on it gets hot and stays hot to the point that you can smell the steering wheel. You need to turn it off manually because it gets too hot for your hands. And it only heats from the 8 o'clock to 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock to 4 o'clock position. I like the Model Y steering wheel heat much better, the way it is controlled!
I told the technician the same thing. Every car I've ever owned, the steering wheel stayed hot. He said it'll ruin the vegan leather.

Reactions: andaconda
To combat this for now, if I want it to remain toasty warm, I manually run it off and on again. Takes .5 sec and it heats up again quite fast and second time tends to stay hot longer 🤷🏽‍♂️

Anyone else can verify this?

To combat this for now, if I want it to remain toasty warm, I manually run it off and on again. Takes .5 sec and it heats up again quite fast and second time tends to stay hot longer 🤷🏽‍♂️

Anyone else can verify this?
I have experienced the same over the last couple of days. I don't recall this happening when I first got the car in Nov 2021. I initially blamed it on the v11 update. I am doing the same as you. I turn it off and then turn it back on.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I just took my M3LR in for this exact same issue and they went so far as to confirm it is a problem and replace the entire steering wheel. They had my car for a week and half. STILL the same problem. Literally as I drove home from Service. Just haven’t taken it back yet. AGAIN

Can anybody tell me their experience with adding a steering wheel cover? Will the steer wheel heater still work and be noticeable? I purchased an awesome black and white leather steering wheel cover. It isn’t super thick but goes on over the existing wheel. Wondering what to expect.