Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated Steering Wheel on timer or other control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I picked up my 2021 LR+ on 12/11 and previously had a 2016 75D. I have noticed that the Heated Steering Wheel on my LR+ is behaving differently than my 75D. In colder weather (Toledo, OH - so about 5 months a year) I precondition my X prior to driving, including turning on the Heated Steering Wheel. When I start driving, I used to be able to turn off the cabin heat and the steering wheel would stay hot the entire time (75D) until I arrived at my destination. Now on my LR+ it seems the steering wheel turns off when the heat is turned off and feel cool after about 15 of driving. Just to note, the seats seem unchanged - stay on the whole time. I have tried checking the Heated Steering Wheel button and it appears to stay on.

Any thoughts, functioning like it should or maybe an issue that needs service?

Thanks!

I know this sort of behavior can change from one firmware update to another, so always helpful to post your version. Last time I was in cold weather was December, at version 2020.48.12.1 and my steering wheel heater would remain on even with the cabin heater off. I am several versions past that now, 2020.48.35.5 and in Florida, so no need for the heater so can't tell.

Hello!

I picked up my 2021 LR+ on 12/11 and previously had a 2016 75D. I have noticed that the Heated Steering Wheel on my LR+ is behaving differently than my 75D. In colder weather (Toledo, OH - so about 5 months a year) I precondition my X prior to driving, including turning on the Heated Steering Wheel. When I start driving, I used to be able to turn off the cabin heat and the steering wheel would stay hot the entire time (75D) until I arrived at my destination. Now on my LR+ it seems the steering wheel turns off when the heat is turned off and feel cool after about 15 of driving. Just to note, the seats seem unchanged - stay on the whole time. I have tried checking the Heated Steering Wheel button and it appears to stay on.

Any thoughts, functioning like it should or maybe an issue that needs service?

Thanks!
Update - software version 2020.48.35.5

in my 2018 X, we have been using the heated steering wheel alot in this winter. when i click on the heated steering wheel button with the X pre-conditioned or not, the steering wheel gets pretty damn toasty. in fact, that i actually need to turn the heated function off after 10-15 mins.

but i can activate the heated steering wheel regardless of the climate control. not sure im im helping your question(s)?

im on 2020.48.35.5 too.